Slingbox Question

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Slingbox Question

Hi All.

What a wonderful sounding little machine. I have no experience with these things, so pardon me if I ask some silly questions. I looked on the Slingbox website, but it didnt quite answer the questions I had.

So essentially, I have a friend in Canada, who has full satelitte and cable coverage. I hook a slingbox locally into his receiver, and without disruption of viewing on his end, I can surf channels via the internet to my hearts content. Is that essentially true?

sirant

It transmits whatever channel his satellite decoder is receiving. If he changes the channel then it affects what you are watching. You also have control over the decoder over the internet.

Nope, you need a dedicated cable/satellite box for the Slingbox. Otherwise, you'd be restricted to what he was watching. If you changed the channel on your PC, you'd be changing the channel for him too. Correct me if I'm wrong guys

Ahhhh Ok

Thanks for the responses...

Too darn bad though.....

Wouldnt it be sweet if it werent setup that way?

sirant

Yeah it would be cool. I'm considering having my brother set one up for me since he might start working in New York soon. We usually watch the same/similar stuff so it wouldn't be an issue.

What about time difference

Wouldnt it work out ok with the time difference? You could watch things when your brother was at work etc...

I was thinking the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by tonkfodder:
    Wouldnt it work out ok with the time difference? You could watch things when your brother was at work etc...
    With the time difference it might be ok. Plus, watching ANYTHING he is watching in English just has to be better than the endless barrage of mosquito, "let's keep hong kong clean" and breast enlargement commercials we get in Shenzhen.

Are Pearl and ATV as bad in Hong Kong? By bad I mean the commercials cutting off key parts of programs, missing ends of movies (boy that ticks me off) so that the last 15 minutes are hooter commercials instead of the conclusion? Or is that just because I am on the mainland?

Just curious...

sirant

In this respect you will find that this is a case of one country one system - it's no better here.

Yeah, you guys are watching HK Pearl and ATV up there...exactly the same thing we get down here. We do have satellite/cable but it still kinda sucks. I download pretty much everything I watch now.

heh..my brother and I keep strange hours, so it's possible I'd be watching TV with him at the same time. I often don't work till 3-5 pm, so I'd have plenty of time to watch primetime stuff.

Wow, sorry to hear that...

I had heard somewhere that in Hong Kong it was different, though it didnt really make sense. Why show SOOOO many "keep HK clean" commercials in Shenzhen if it was different. Ah well. Crying shame they can't figure out the whole timing thing.

And yes, thank goodness for BT! Woohoo!! No commercials!

sirant

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast