Should I get a Plasma TV or LCD TV?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I've got both a plasma and LCD. A Pioneer 43" plasma that's about 6 months old and a new Sony Bravia 40" LCD.

For gaming go for the LCD. Burn-in is an issue with plasmas. Although it's usually not serious it's still annoying. And using it as a monitor you'd face that issue every day.

Purely subjective, but for movies I like the plasma better.

For gaming go LCD, for Movies, etc go Plasma. The lifespans of both are similar - a good brand should last 10 years being used 16 hours a day - as if anyone would do that! Plasmas have higher contrast ratios and faster screen refresh rates than LCD.

so, between a

sharp 37 inches lc 37 ax3h
    jvc 37 inches ltz 37 ex 6 sat
    lg 37 inches lc2r

which one shall I get?

Quote Originally Posted by RastaMan
    sharp 37 inches lc 37 ax3h
    AX3H is an Outdated Model:

Model number LC-37AX3H LC-37AX5H
    Screen Size (inch) 37 37
    Contrast Ratio 800 : 1 1200:1

Yes? The shop assistant told me it's the best of the three, and it's the only one where I could find a review on the net (at cnet I believe) that said it was 'very good'. The advantage with an outdated model is that the price has dropped by half since it was first launched?

I guess that at these prices ($12,000 for a 37 inches screen) they should all be outdated.

Prices of LCD TV's are set to fall sharply through 2007 according to most review sites. I have been watching prices in Fortress fall 10-15% over the last month and in some stores they will discount further for cash.

I guess it depends how much longer you wish to wait but if you can hold out I am sure you could save another 10% or so by waiting until after Chinese New Year.

Personally, I have my eye on some of the Philips Ambilight 32" LCD models which are offerig a 'free' 20" LCD TV in with the deal. Cost 2 weeks ago was HKD 14K in Fortress. Now they are going for HKD 12,900 but if you offer cash in some stores you can get it for HKD 12K

lcd

Hi. Was in Pricerite shop today looking at a Philips 32ins lcd, the price was hkd4500...yes four thousand five hundred. Thats only 300 english pounds. I thought it was a bargain. Shame i no money.Bet its gone now eh.Still they are coming down in price.

Philips for 4,500 dolars? Are you sure it wasn't some Chinese brand? Best also has cheaper 32 inches, like 8,000 bucks for Japanese brands. But apparently the quality varies quite considerably.

I think I will buy a 37 inches. It looks nicer lah, and it's quite bigger. 42 inches I probably don't need.

One problem with the Sharp 37AX3h is that I can't attach it to the computer, and I will be watching movies through the PCCW 'now' stuff (or what is it called?).

At Fortress (but I think Best is cheaper) I found the
    Toshiba 37wl567j for 12,980
    Toshiba 37wl66e for 13,800
    Sharp lc37g1h for 13,980

they also had a LG e42pcirr for 14,500, but it has a plasma screen, that the seller said is not as good. I didn't really find my difference. It's only 1,000 bucks more than the others, and it's 42 inches!

G'day mate,

I found a Benq VA421, which has a 42'' screen, for 10,900 dolars.
    Pretty cool eh?

I was wondering if anybody knows about this product. I haven't been able to find a review online. I know that Benq isn't really the brand of reference, and of course it isn't as good as the other screen that costs 3 times more, but I was quite impressed by the quality.

Any comment?

I know everyone is telling me to "Go LCD", but I want som experiences on people who used their Plasmas with their PC using a DVI to HDMI cable.

Also I did a lot of research on "burn in" and it's not a major issue with newer plasmas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast