Wireless Modem Router for Netvigator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wireless Modem Router for Netvigator

I believe there are users in these forum is a Netvigator cutomer, Netvigator provides the standard broadband modem to dial into their network.

So if I need to go wireless - access through Computer WiFi, ie. does Netvigator provides a wireless modem installation or do I go to Sham Shui Po/Wan chai Computer centre to get this wireless modem myself? I would like to know the cost differences.

Please advice.

I picked up a Linksys WRT-54G at Wanchai Computer Center. Only thing is, it gives me issues with FTP and Torrents. This particular model is known to do that though. Paid a little over $400 HK.

Grungerock : get a linksys .. we have an SRX as it gives us some additional range which we need because of the thick walls.

Jay: Consider enabling UPNP with uTorrent as a client and upgrading to the latest firmware -- usually solves most torrent problems.

So does that mean Netvigator does not provided wireless modem?

rolders

I tried to plug in a wireless adsl router instead of the NEC device that PCCW provide, but no luck. I bought one of these in Wan Chai computer centre for about $350:
    http://asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=12...09&modelmenu=1

Appears to be totally stable, no issues at all. I connect the WAN port of the wireless router to one of the spare ports on the NEC router, and configure the ASUS to handle authentication to netvigator, so I don't need to do it everytime I use my laptop.

p.s. i don't think netvigator will provide a wireless modem....

Last edited by rolders; 18-12-2006 at 12:13 PM.

Apologies for a number of questions, so since Netvigator provided me with the NEC modem, can I just buy 1 Package(modeM+router+wireless) and remove this NEC modem and install it directly to work? Or do I need this NEC modem to work?

You need a modem to connect to the network, regardless of router or PCs connected to it. The wireless router is then added on to provide wireless connectivity and connects to the modem. Your broadband TV box will also connect to the modem.

In short .. you cannot remove the modem.

The most common option people take is get the basic service installed and then buy a wifi router from the computer stores.

KnowItAll: Thanks for the reply. I always thought I can just buy a modem that has built in Wireless Wifi. Never thought that you need a separate modem to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    Grungerock : get a linksys .. we have an SRX as it gives us some additional range which we need because of the thick walls.

Jay: Consider enabling UPNP with uTorrent as a client and upgrading to the latest firmware -- usually solves most torrent problems.
    KIA: already tried that. Only older versions of Bitcomet work. Go figure. Nothing else will.

Jay, I have the same Linksys wireless router. No problems running Azureus or uTorrent. The latter will automatically set itself up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast