Internet Traffic / Response Slow Down

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Yeah, we couldn't reach any phones in Canada either

WE'RE CUT OFF FROM THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!

yeah i am having problems going on to hotmail. Which is actually sortof big prob for me -- as i have an important email on there of where i am meant to go in about 30mins time -- it has the address and contact details etc. Well actually it is my fault really as i recieved the email a few days ago but i thought oh i will just check it in the morning of today and write the details down then.. OOPPS and now i cant access the email - this is soo me though always leaving things to the last minute. Im just thinking why do i always do this and actually what did we all do before the internet and mobile phones - haha -- getting into that one again. But hopefully they will ring me to see where i am ---

I can't get Taiwan by landline, email or mobile...

I was quite upset when it stopped in the middle of the night as I was working on NYE plans. Oh well. Just started working again but not that well. I was pretty much completely down. I turned on my email client this morning and got one basic email, but I couldn't get to any website including geoexpat as well as my NOW cable does not show anything.

Geo works a little now, still slow, I am working on getting to email through web as client will not work with them.

Pretty much sucks.

one thing that is good, i am not receiving any spam mails from US servers today! yeah. not a single one yet.

GeoExpat and our other sites should be recovering now .. depending on how slow the HK ISPs are in terms of updating how their traffic flows.

I'm now seeing our traffic going from HK <-> UK <-> US .. wonders of technology.

Sub sea cables down

As a result of the earthquake in Taiwan last night, most of the sub sea cable systems in Asia are down. This has a knock on effect for traffic to US as most of it transits via Japan.

Cable systems affected are:

* APCN2 between Philippines & Japan
    * APCN2 between HK & Japan
    * APCN from Taiwan to HK
    * APCN2 from Japan to Singapore
    * C2C from Japan to Singapore
    * APCN2 from Korea to Hong Kong
    * EAC between Hong Kong & Japan

Some of you may be interested to know that standard browser access to major US sites and pop access to GMail don't work but Opera Mini access to those same sites does! Must be the way Mini routes traffic through its own servers.

Three Weeks to Fix....

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...51&sec=apworld

Repairing the cables harmed by Tuesday's 6.7-magnitude quake could take three weeks but "quality will improve day by day,'' said Lin Jen-hung, vice general manager of Chunghwa Telecom Co., Taiwan's largest phone company.

The company said damage to a cable off Taiwan's southern coast has interrupted 98 percent of Taiwan's communications capacity with Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Hong Kong.

The damaged lines knocked out Internet service for some Hong Kong customers, who were unable to access Web sites in parts of Asia and the U.S.

Internet access has been cut or has become extremely slow in Beijing, said an official from China Netcom, China's No. 2 phone company.

The official, who would not give his name, said the cause was thought to be the earthquake, but he had not further details. Businesses in various parts of the city also said they were experiencing Internet access problems.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast