Internet Traffic / Response Slow Down

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by texasaxel:
    I have no hard evidence but I am unconvinced that the download speed from overseas sites is as fast as it was before the earthquake. I'm using PCCW Netvigator broadband.

Speed has improved in recent days compared to the first half of January but it is not yet back to 100%. I'd say 80% but it is merely my judgment, not backed by numbers. Perhaps my memory deceives me.
    One of the problems on this forum is that many people keep on spouting off inaccurate, highly opinionated information with no basis which only adds to the disinformation.

texasels, you are wrong. Not just netvigator, but other ISPs have also had a serious decrease in performance even have broken pages which don't load on both Netvigator and Netfront.

yellowtip, as I said, you are paying peanuts for your circuit and when conditions are bad this is what happens. Be realistic and don't expect better. Your circuit is most likely to be 100Mbit FE port. So at 300KB/s you are getting about 3Mbit, or 3% international of what your circuit can do. On diyixian I get at least 50% international of what the circuit can do, mind you I do pay a 4 digit figure for the circuit. You get what you pay for.

You are on a network where the users have such big ports (FE,GE) that ratio of user port bandwidth to international circuit bandwidth means that it will always be easy to congest the international pipes. HKBN selling FE and GE ports does have this inherent weakness. Looks good on specs 100Mbit, 1Gbit circuits, but that is all, you get 3%.

I agree and I am with HGC. Still not back to BT'ing though.

I doubt we have adsl cause we don't have an adsl modem box.

Seems more like some kind of sdsl solution.

It's just the standard 25MB line you get from HKBN (for consumers).

HKBN does NOT use SDSL ADSL vDSL, they have a very advanced metro IP network which switches Ethernet. NO modems, no ATM, nothing. They are one my hardware customer.

yellowtip your post made me come up with this

ISP? pick any two:
    low price, reliable, high speed

Last edited by hk.com; 30-01-2007 at 02:21 PM.

hk.com,

Thanks for you input.

What ISP and what plan are you on?

I need to get something better than what I have now and (within reason) don't care what it costs.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtip:
    hk.com,

Thanks for you input.

What ISP and what plan are you on?

I need to get something better than what I have now and (within reason) don't care what it costs.

Thanks!
    yellowtip, the reliability and speed of a circuit specially with the well known ISPs have nothing to do with the actual international speed. I find 6Mbit, 8Mbit, 25Mbit, 100Mbit 1Gbit means nothing.

On diyixian pick any symetric service ask them to offer options with HGC and pccw circuits. The network and BGP is great, billing and cs is not.

For serious IP, Sprint, MCI. If want top notch bandwidth talk to the carriers, like Asianetcom, NTT (these two have not gone down). Most of HK ISPs/telcos recovered by re-routing their traffic onto Asianetcom's trans pacific fibers.

Thanks hk.com!

Will look into the several options you offered asap.

As a last question:
    If I understand you correctly, getting 300Kbps to USA/Europe on a 25MB line from HKBN is normal, right? In other words...after all the lines bethween HK and Taiwan have been fixed, speed wont increase dramatically, right?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtip:
    Thanks hk.com!
    As a last question:
    If I understand you correctly, getting 300Kbps to USA/Europe on a 25MB line from HKBN is normal, right? In other words...after all the lines bethween HK and Taiwan have been fixed, speed wont increase dramatically, right?
    I doubt that you have a 25Mbit line. You should have a 100Mbit ethernet connection and you are gettiing roughly 3Mbit throughputs. Is it normal ? To me it does not sound right, mind you the amount your are paying does not sound right to me either.

Dunno, are you willing to put up with it? Do you understand that the 100Mbit is not actually what you get and it is totally down to ISP what ever bandwidth they give you. The 25Mbit/100Mbit is in fact total BS.

Dunno what will happen after the cable is fixed. Not sure if they have cut their other providers off, what will the costs of bandwidth be and how much will they be willing to pay. There is a chance it stays the same.

You are on an ISP where the international bandwidth you get can/will fluctuate massively as they don't commit to give you any level of service what so ever. gamble away.

Wink

HK.com,

I think you're right. If I look at my local speeds within HK, it seems tp point to indicate I have a 100MB line (although I'm paying for 25MB).

I pay (if I remember correctly) around HK$250/month.

Anyway...it seems HKBN has been following this thread , cause since today my speed is up...way up!!! I'm now getting download speeds from USA servers of about 2 to 3Mbps. Now! we're getting somewhere

Hope this this stays though...

Oakland, California and Shatin, Hong Kong

anyone have problems uploading to US webspaces?

Hi, sorry if it's been mentioned before but for those who has webspace hosted in the US, has any of you had any problems when uploading images? I tried to upload photo albums to my webspace directly through the FTP server and some images end up being distorted or have some glitches appear.

I tried to email the customer service of the web hosting company but they aren't much help. The problem doesn't seem to be on their end though, so I'm guessing it's because of the overseas lines which might still be causing problems.

Any info would be appreciated!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast