Internet outage - what you can do.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jaetee
    I saw a news report that 80% of internet access is back to normal - this isnt correct, is it?
    Not for HK anyway.

So what the prognosis? The fiber may not be fixed until halfway into January. Is there a enough backup links and other lines to lease from that can get us near full capacity or will we be limping along for a few weeks?

Based on the sites I go to regularly, I'd say it's more like 80% of the internet does NOT work yet. Probably more like 90% actually.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    facts in life.
    there's no way to make the world ideal.
    people who knows the fundamental will try to educate others, but the 'ignorants' (pardon usage of this word but its the most fitting i'd guess) would find it a chore and instead simply continue with the norm.
    yet, money are made from these people and you are not going to see infrastructure providers or s/w vendors stepping up the effort in education...

so.. either one like hk.com screams daily and live in anguish, or simply just ignore it and treat it as part of life...
    Ouch, that painfully describes my life. I have another rant about Vista coming up later, one that no one will want to listen to for sure.

If you can't find the masses to listen to common sense, it's best to give up and find a way to make a commercial profit out of it. Right now, I am all in favour of the fiber cable not being fixed for weeks if not months. We are signing up customers to our email service very fast.

Last night we issued a press release to RTHK to ask HK Internet users not to use peer to peer software. Never heard a thing back.

I just spoke the the Standard reporter and apparently the government or someone was recommending not to use peer to peer clients. Does anyone know where was this published or by who?

Well it's working better than ever now, I can reach many sites I couldn't before. However we're talking massive PL and ping of over 2 seconds

I cannot access any sites except for SCMP & this one as of today. All my mail is on AOL and I cannot get on AOL at all. I use Netvigator broadband..Is it just me or are others having this problem??

My friends who use HK Broadband and Cable seem to be doing a lot better. Can someone update me on the Netvigator situation please?

Jared, disconnect, wait several minutes and reconnect your broadband connection. There are large portions of Netvigator which are working just fine today.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    Jared, disconnect, wait several minutes and reconnect your broadband connection. There are large portions of Netvigator which are working just fine today.
    KIA, I tried this, but still no Outlook function...... No single email is retrieved!! :-(( Is there any trick?
    Furthermore, it seems that European https sites can not be accessed or only very very slowly....
    Todays SCMP says that 6 out of 7 cables serving HK have been damaged.

DaveD : just keep trying .. we have completely normal internet connections at home and at work.

Infact, if you can access this site, you should be ok, given that we're hosted in the US.

(Having said that, I do think our hosting company has switched to routing via the UK / EU links.. but still)

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    DaveD : just keep trying .. we have completely normal internet connections at home and at work.

Infact, if you can access this site, you should be ok, given that we're hosted in the US.

(Having said that, I do think our hosting company has switched to routing via the UK / EU links.. but still)
    I never had a problem to access this site.... now I m at work, but will try again tonight to access my Outlook.

What I dont understand in general is the fact that Internet was working perfectly straight after the quake - no limitations at all.
    The next morning then all was down.... weird....

I found that this site was accessible long before major sites like Google and GMail were (c.1600 hours yesterday).

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast