Internet outage - what you can do.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Internet outage - what you can do.

Stop using P2P clients!

It is interesting that we can't browse and P2P programs like Bittorrent etc keep on working. That is because they use UDP and there is no throttling mechanism for UDP. So when you send a UDP P2P packet it is likely to push and kill TCP connections if there is congestion.

I've not see how the congestion on all the possible networks that you guys might be on but from what I can see on my ISP, we are currently running at 1/5 to 1/4 of the bandwidth that we actually need. We are able to send and receive email from outside HK, however I am sure that others are not this lucky.

From the congestions, packet loss levels I am seeing right now on Diyixian&Netfront, I think that if everyone stopped their based P2P file sharing programs etc, we would be able to have HTTP/POP3/SMTP and Web browsing working again for everyone, not for just some.

So how about we all shut down our Bittorrent clients, Limewire etc, ?

Maybe you want to tell your friends also to do the same, if you think this is a good idea?

Excellent post.

In the mean time, we've turned off all advertising to ensure that the site continues to load quickly.

Great Idea... I'm using proxy from Australia and seems to be working almost at normal speed. (And still enjoy the service of limewire )

so i think the best idea is to shut down any UDP connections and set IE to proxy via anywhere else but Asia.

And for everyone else if you want to set your proxy try to search from google, or you can use this settings bellow.

Open Internet Explorer Click Tools, Internet Options, Connections, and LAN Settings.

IP: 165.228.132.11
    Port: 80

Should work fine..

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Excellent post.

In the mean time, we've turned off all advertising to ensure that the site continues to load quickly.
    Wow, I m impressed, Sir.....

can anyone help?

I've urgently got to gain access to yahoo, in order to get all the contact info and instructions for an interview........... So far no joy.

Is there anyway of getting in? Or does anyone know when it will be resumed?

big 5: cannot get through to yahoo from our connection.

Have you tried the proxy that shiver has posted?

I have a few dozen gmail invites if anyone needs an email address that works.

For some reason GMail is struggling to load most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by big 5:
    can anyone help?

I've urgently got to gain access to yahoo, in order to get all the contact info and instructions for an interview........... So far no joy.

Is there anyway of getting in? Or does anyone know when it will be resumed?
    PM me your details as I can get to yahoo.com email from my phone.
    In fact, I am getting through on my desktop too now albeit slowly.
    Last edited by discobay; 28-12-2006 at 10:41 AM.

gutted, i got in.................. then this: Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999.

heading for an internet cafe. thanks!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast