Folks connected to US servers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Send a PM to hk.com and see if he can help you with some alternate routing via his connections.

Have you tried setting up a VPN connection from your gateway router to your corporate network in the US?

Finally got someone at PCCW with half a brain. They asked me for the address for our exchange server. They called me back and said there are some data packets loss, which I knew about already from ping attempts usually 2 out of 4 packets get lost with very bad response times on the packets that do not get lost. Anyway, they said they had to inform their upload provider and get back to me. They could not offer any alternative. I can't believe I am the only one having this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tx75070
    Finally got someone at PCCW with half a brain. They asked me for the address for our exchange server. They called me back and said there are some data packets loss, which I knew about already from ping attempts usually 2 out of 4 packets get lost with very bad response times on the packets that do not get lost. Anyway, they said they had to inform their upload provider and get back to me. They could not offer any alternative. I can't believe I am the only one having this problem.
    We had a few company join us with your problem. The way they overcome it is by setting our servers to download from your servers, then you use POP3 out of our servers to get your email. Hey presto.

Did you do a traceroute or tracert to see where it is broker?

Woodpecker

Actually got it back up today and I have to take back what I said about PCCW. I finally found someone at PCCW that knew what I was talking about and basically they were able to have their provider re-route the path taken to get to our IP address. Still a little slow on ping time, but no data packet loss. Now our VPN tunnel connection is stable enough so that we can do business as normal. Thank God this is over. Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

HKBN's math is up to scratch as ever:

http://www.hkbn.net/mrtg/oversea.html

Overseas bandwidth flat lining at 50%, I think their MRTG is slightly misconfigured.

It's a shame with PCCW. I use Biz Netvigator in the office and when I have a problem, sometimes 3 different tech guys come out and all 3 have a diff opinion about what is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    HKBN's math is up to scratch as ever:

http://www.hkbn.net/mrtg/oversea.html

Overseas bandwidth flat lining at 50%, I think their MRTG is slightly misconfigured.
    God that is brilliant! Plot that against any healthy MRTG curve and that tells you that they need at least 75% more bandwidth than they currently have. Pretty oversold.

They should get a script to massage the MRTG data logs so that the graphs look healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma
    It's a shame with PCCW. I use Biz Netvigator in the office and when I have a problem, sometimes 3 different tech guys come out and all 3 have a diff opinion about what is wrong.
    The PCCW broadband circuits are made of two parts:
    The transport network 172.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x, which run on DSLams, ATM etc. (may runs IP)
    The IP public network 203.x.x.x 218.x.x.x 125.x.x.x. which is used to talk to the internet.

The transport networks, MegaAccess, Megalink, MetroIP are generally very good, reasonably reliable. They come in different tiers and each one with different levels of fault tolerance, burst rates and comited data rates. The fact that these are good is the reason why you can get a circuit with an 3rd ISP using MegaLink/MegaAccess circuits which is great, with 99.9999% uptimes.

If you signup to Netvigator (public IP/Internet access) using MegaAcccess/MegaLink you get connected to their layer 3 IP back bone. It is their public IP back bone that suffers from major problems. It is a total shame.

We all keep on seeing how well it performs. When I run ssh into netvigator, accross HKIX the connection gets dropped 6 times a day. As every few seconds I am sending data in and out of the network I see many of the 2-5 minute outages that happen several times per day. In the past 2 weeks on a bad day they last 20 minutes.

I've seen this problem for over 2 years now, and I think it is so ingrained in their network design that they will not be able to shake it out easily.

If you are having problems on your circuits, they can and will fix that, as the team running at the exchange are part is pretty good. On site engineers will vary from one to another. If you have your own IP fixed addresses and have problems, you maybe stuck in a black hole.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2