Folks connected to US servers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Folks connected to US servers

We have PCCW and having troubles still with email. Internet seems to be working fine. We have a server here that is connected to our US servers through a VPN tunnel. The servers basically mirror each other.

From my home (where I also have PCCW) this morning everything was working with no problem, but it was at 6 am before HK internet traffic kicks up. When I tried getting email from my office at about 10:30 this morning I couldn't anything off of outlook. It looked like it never really connected with the exchange server. I then dialed up with ATT and got emails no problem. Since my ATT dial up works, it looks like PCCW is the problem and I can only get generic answers from them.

Right now, my office is basically crippled and I need to get them back up. I thought about installing everyone's machine with ATT dialer and have our users dial up for their email, but it would be a huge premium since we have to pay international minute rates. (again internet is no problem, it is email) Anyone have any other ideas I could try? I would really like to hear from people that connect to US servers for their email and have PCCW for their ISP. What did you do to get going again? Is there any local ISPs that I can get some quick dial up accounts with to use in the interim? I need a way to connect witout using PCCW's network.

No problems here with PCCW / Netvigator, with either sending or receiving from home. (Cyberport network is routed differently and not through PCCW ironically)

Are you on a static IP?

If you're on a PPPoE type connection, then I'd recommend shutting down the modem / router for a few minutes and trying till you get a new IP range allocated -- worked like a charm for us.

My Netvigator was working fine (if a little slowly on some routes) last night. When PCCW was playing up I found that I would have no trouble opening a VPN tunnel from my home machine to our corporate VPN gateways in the US or UK and then onwards from there (whether to our servers on the intranet or out again through our outbound internet gateway in the US). If you have the capability to try VPNing into your corporate network over Netvigator I'd give that a go.

We are on a static IP address.

I also use PCCW in the office and have netvigator at home. No troubles connecting to the US office email server although usually get email updates via HTTPS. We also have web based outlook that I access at home.

One thing I did not have until Wednesday was VPN. Explanation I got from my IT and PCCW is that when PCCW was rerouting traffic temporarily, they might have rerouted in a way that did not allow VPN connections. However since Wednesday, that has been working. Hope your operations get up and running soon.

-P

That's strange, because VPN is the one thing that did work for me in the early days when the DNS had collapsed and many routes were down!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    That's strange, because VPN is the one thing that did work for me in the early days when the DNS had collapsed and many routes were down!
    The routes you take all depends where you are and where you are going. So it is not strange.

DNS didn't collapse. Just the DNS resolvers you used where in a black hole which couldn't even see the root DNS servers. That is kind like trying to use a Palm tree on a beach to as DNS resolvers.

>> because VPN is the one thing that did work for me in the early days

Betcha you have the VPN dialer configured with a IP address.

Indeed <padding>

Meanwhile, I still can't connect to our bloody exchange server. Also, I just learned our remote desktop connection we use to connect to quick books in the US is not working. At about 3:30 we had about a 5 minute period and everything worked. It just started working out of nowhere. Emails came through, remote desktop connections worked, IP phones were functional and then it all went down again. It is so frustrating spinning my wheels and spending time on this crap! It is so useless talking to PCCW. I was about set up ATT dialer on every machine here and then realized our desktops don't have modems so that won't do much good.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast