Slingbox - can anyone help me?

Closed Thread

Slingbox - can anyone help me?

On my recent trip back to the US, I had a Slingbox set up. It worked beautifully and I was able to view remotely (out of state). Now that I'm back in HK, I can't get it to work at all. It tries to connect but doesn't. I've checked the Slingbox at its location and all the correct lights are on. Someone else is also able to view it in the US but I still can't. Are there ports issues with Netvigator broadband that anyone is aware of?

Hi, this may not be of much help, but I have no problem using my slingbox (also based in the US) with Netvigator DSL service here. It works just fine on both my work PC (internet connection supplied by PCCW Business) and my home laptop with DSL (service provided by PCCW residential).

If it worked ok in the US but not here, that is very strange indeed, I've never heard of that. You may want to check out the various slingbox discussion forums, both here on Geoexpat and other sites.

hmm... i take it you're using a Mac to view it?

here are some things to check on...

Firewall - do you have it turned on, on your mac? or router? or a hardware based firewall? do you have the ports that it needs?

Have you tried to connect with another machine? (mac or pc) does it work or not?

Thanks Octoruss and TallDude for your replies. I've tried both my Mac and also my work PC laptop (both connected to the same Netvigator DSL) and neither one works. I've also checked out Slingcommunity.com but haven't been able to get much help there either.

Octoruss, do you know what port you're using to port forward? 5001 or 463?

Talldude, I have disenabled all firewall on my computers as well as routers and nothing works.

I have someone test it for me in the US on his Mac and it works! Very frustrating indeed.

hmm if that's the case, how about trying a different internet connection?

best way to test if it's your isp or not

That was my next step although I haven't had a chance to take my laptop out to somewhere else with WIFI. But seems like most people use Netvigator DSL...is that correct? Other than someone else's place, where can I take it to get it tested?

hmmm... if you have a dial up connection you could use that too... just to see if it will stream or not

I have a slingbox, is using Netvigator and everything works fine. You might want to get someone in HK your Finder's ID and give it a try.