Like Tree4Likes

Fake Wake Up call Service for PCCW mobile phones?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Veeranki:

Intersting & coincidental thing is, couple of days back I have posted a classified in Geoexpat & Asiaexpat for getting rid of my dining table as a FREE stuff with my mobile number to contact (I don't check Geoexpat often). This is the place where I have publicized my mobile number and immediately the next day I am getting these calls. So, please take care if you are looking to post classifieds.
    It's often a really, really bad idea to post a phone number or real email address in any kind of online forum etc. This is why the PM service here is so useful - you can get a private message without having to give out personal info.

HKD2,400 for a wake-up service is clearly a scam - c'mon - even if it WAS a valid phone service, do you think it would cost about 6 times the entire monthly phone bills of a full plan with bells and whistles (or about 20 - 30x the cost of a cheapo plan)? 24HKD a month would be more like it, for a real service. Its a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> Isn't it abit dumb to keep your mobile phone switched on overnight anyway

And what if your job involves taking late night calls from overseas locations? Or if you're on call? I know plenty of people who need to keep their phones on at night.
    Fair point. I would always use a landline for that kind of application (and only about 3 people know my landline number!) but I guess some might only have one phone.

just go and buy a new sim card

HK Police has just called me with case registration number and relevant details. So meeting them in the evening to give a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    just go and buy a new sim card
    I could easily do that but as I said the false claims the idiot is making & exorbittant false charges they are leving need to be reported. This is a pure mobile phone Scam.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

I could easily do that but as I said the false claims the idiot is making & exorbittant false charges they are leving need to be reported. This is a pure mobile phone Scam.
    and is this really worth your time? i assume the scammer doesnt have your account details and you do not have any monetary lost.

Good for you. People need to report these things to help stamp them out.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    and is this really worth your time? i assume the scammer doesnt have your account details and you do not have any monetary lost.
    Don't discourage him. What if the next person does not spot it as a scam and gives out money? I ALWAYS report this kind of thing (I've reported taxi's for taking an unnecessarily 'long' route; buses for filling up with LPG while full of passengers using mobile phones and alls sorts of other electronic gadgetry) etc etc. He's doing the right thing.

Did you enter any contests online, e.g., for a free iPhone? I came across a Hong Kong-based one the other day that wanted me to put in my phone number. In small print at the bottom, it said I'd be subscribing for some kind of service. I obviously didn't put my number in.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Don't discourage him. What if the next person does not spot it as a scam and gives out money? I ALWAYS report this kind of thing (I've reported taxi's for taking an unnecessarily 'long' route; buses for filling up with LPG while full of passengers using mobile phones and alls sorts of other electronic gadgetry) etc etc. He's doing the right thing.
    all true if the scammer uses his real name and phone number. i assume the scammer also used a pre paid sim card to call the OP. good luck.