co-location

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    Hk.Com, just curious.. how much does a 4Mbps symetric connetion cost these days? When we moved to our office, the cost in Central was fairly pricey .. 6-8K / month depending on who we talked to and it wasnt available in a number of Grade-B and lower buildings.
    With Netvigator - HK$720/month (after the rebates), that is a Megalink. I got it so our customers can access our mail servers within Netvigator so we can overcome the little problem of Netvigator of not being able to see HK isps, which happens often.

I would not put my a primary server on a Netvigator connection, it is OK as a back up. I like the megalink network, as it is reliable and has lots of redundancy, I think the best bet is to use an ISP that uses PCCW megalink circuits if you want reliability Eg. CPC, Diyixian, Cyberexpress, onebb etc...

Ok, the quotes we had were from New World and a couple of other providers, in Nov 2003. Obviously prices have fallen.

Wharf T&T's 2mb SDSL lines are almost the same as regular business DSL in Kowloon Bay.

HK hosting for the US isn't a good idea unless your site is minimal graphics. I barely get T1 speeds within HK from Pacific Internet's data center in Wan Chai.

I'm thinking of getting two VPS's in the US, one for mail relay to lower spam false positives of email, and the other to proxy images from a HK web server.

guy, thanks for the "don't host in HK" advice....

If anyone else has an answer to my question about finding a co-location in HK, feel free to post here with some recommendations or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by tvrlover
    Hong Kong connects to the US through Taiwan and Japan and a stop over in Hawaii. If you hadn't noticed, the link between Taiwan and Hong Kong is down due to earthquakes and is taking over a month to fix.

Hong Kong hosting companies only compete on price, most customers are also choosing the cheaper option of hosting out of DSL in their office, leaving a lot of room in the data centers.

Probably by Q4 you could get great hosting out of Shanghai through Verizon's new direct link to the US. Hosting in China means you have to register everything with the government though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    Hong Kong connects to the US through Taiwan and Japan and a stop over in Hawaii. If you hadn't noticed, the link between Taiwan and Hong Kong is down due to earthquakes and is taking over a month to fix.

Hong Kong hosting companies only compete on price, most customers are also choosing the cheaper option of hosting out of DSL in their office, leaving a lot of room in the data centers.

Probably by Q4 you could get great hosting out of Shanghai through Verizon's new direct link to the US. Hosting in China means you have to register everything with the government though.
    Yes, I realize the connection etc...

thanks for the Q4 suggestion. Any suggestions for Hong Kong Co-locations (LOCAL) are welcome.

pm or post...

thanks

Would help if you gave us a hint at what you've looked at and what you've not looked at here in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by tvrlover

If anyone else has an answer to my question about finding a co-location in HK, feel free to post here with some recommendations or PM me.
    IMHO the don't host in HK is nonsense.

We serve users in 23 countries, including UK, USA, Canada, Vietnam, Malaysia etc. and we have no issues.

The question is what you buy and where. I find the brand to quality relationship varies massively.

If you have require top notch and are willing to pay, you can get clear bandwidth with carriers like Asianetcom, who own their own trans pacific fiber (the one that didn't get cut).

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    IMHO the don't host in HK is nonsense.
    I agree... hence, why I'm looking for an HK co-location. Have a few co-locs I'm talking to already, so some very helpful people here..... thanks guys

There are also these guys:

http://www.internap.com/product/data.../page1510.html

They offer co-location as well as path network optimisation over multiple carriers.

Last edited by jgl; 30-01-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast