co-location

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    There are also these guys:

http://www.internap.com/product/data.../page1510.html

They offer co-location as well as path network optimisation over multiple carriers.
    To do the optimization you will need your own IPs (god bless you) and maybe an AS number.

It would be interested if they can optimize here in HK with how many paths or do they have to lug your traffic back to the US. My guess is that the local providers have more pipes and hence more diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    If you have require top notch and are willing to pay, you can get clear bandwidth with carriers like Asianetcom, who own their own trans pacific fiber (the one that didn't get cut).
    Er, well not initially, but then it did get cut 10 days ago when the ship trying to repair the other cables accidentally dredged up and broke the ANC cable instead!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Er, well not initially, but then it did get cut 10 days ago when the ship trying to repair the other cables accidentally dredged up and broke the ANC cable instead!
    as far as I know what got cut 10 days ago rerouted to other fibers within 24 hours. None of this 4 weeks to fix the cable stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    To do the optimization you will need your own IPs (god bless you) and maybe an AS number.

It would be interested if they can optimize here in HK with how many paths or do they have to lug your traffic back to the US. My guess is that the local providers have more pipes and hence more diversity.
    You certainly don't need an AS number. They've got a single facility in HK and use (off memory) 4 carriers here so there isn't some bottleneck determined by a specific US connection. I think they've also got a location in Singapore.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, nor do I even pretend to understand their product- I've just spoken to some of their sales guys
    Last edited by jgl; 31-01-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    You certainly don't need an AS number. They've got a single facility in HK and use (off memory) 4 carriers here so there isn't some bottleneck determined by a specific US connection. I think they've also got a location in Singapore.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, nor do I even pretend to understand their product- I've just spoken to some of their sales guys
    Maybe you don't need an AS number but you will need at least a class C from them or APNIC to be able have your own separate tuned BGP announcement.

"4 carriers here so there isn't some bottleneck" even these ISPs that have 20 uplinks to other countries are being cought out by the taiwan cable break and are facing bottlenecks. The "4 carriers" could mean anything and in fact having 4 upstreams is something that even small ISPs can afford/provide.

At least they have good marketing documentation as to what they provide. Many outfits in HK have a pile of service and you never get to find out.

Look, I'm not here to nitpick points about a service that I don't even use.

Just saying that it's another company that might worth checking out from a colo perspective.

>> Look, I'm not here to nitpick points about a service that I don't
    >> even use.

Thank you for not taking the bait.

>> We serve users in 23 countries, including UK, USA, Canada,
    >> Vietnam, Malaysia etc. and we have no issues.

Bet your MRTG does not look like this ...

Sure HK hosting is adequate.. but I seriously I just don't trust the hosts in HK to deliver packets fast enough, to Europe / North America.

Anyways ... just resting my case with a little picture (where we thought 10mbps would be adequate).. of what happens when you get a featured link from a mega-portal.

Not that it would happen to a e-com store .. but still.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    >> We serve users in 23 countries, including UK, USA, Canada,
    >> Vietnam, Malaysia etc. and we have no issues.

Bet your MRTG does not look like this ...

Sure HK hosting is adequate.. but I seriously I just don't trust the hosts in HK to deliver packets fast enough, to Europe / North America.

Anyways ... just resting my case with a little picture (where we thought 10mbps would be adequate).. of what happens when you get a featured link from a mega-portal.

Not that it would happen to a e-com store .. but still.
    Why are Europe and USA important? At least on this site I only see HK adverts.

Thanks for sharing that MRTG. That is an unusual graph, not because of the peak, but due to the lack of spikes. It looks like your server is behind a traffic shaper and the way it ramps up is a mathematical curve and later the shapping is turned off to handle flash crowd. On some areas you can see that the traffic shaper kicks in and has slowed down those who are on powerful networks.

Interestingly the current issue of Computer World Hong Kong lists the international bandwidth of Hong Kong as of September 2006 (page 10) to be 1.24 Gbs with only 54% active.

Surprising how little international and hosting bandwidth really is compared to the performance you can get from consumer grade networking equipment.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast