ISP advice in Hong Kong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by shiver
    i was actually talking about ADSL 128Kbps modems sorry my bad..
    Still runs over a phoneline. You may not have a handset but you need a line. PCCW could not install my Broadband (ADSL, DSL ) until I had a phone line.

Back in SA we had huge problems with the Alarm systems disconnecting the ADSL as thye grabbed the phonelines to connect to the Alarm Companies.

i'd have to agree with monde...

you're iCable wouldn't need a phone line because it uses a Coax cable instead.

Yes, ADSL uses the actual physical copper phone lines, but you do not need a telephone connection. If PCCW told you you need to pay for a phone line to use ADSL, they either meant you need the copper wired into your house or they screwed you over. I only use ADSL, and that's all I pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire
    Yes, ADSL uses the actual physical copper phone lines, but you do not need a telephone connection. If PCCW told you you need to pay for a phone line to use ADSL, they either meant you need the copper wired into your house or they screwed you over. I only use ADSL, and that's all I pay for.
    That pretty much explained everything..

Doesn't need telephone lines
    T1/T3
    xDSL
    Cables

Needs Telephone lines

Dial up modems
    ADSL 128k modems
    56k Modems
    14.4k Modems etc

Lol i think geoexpat needs to start a debate forum too..
    Last edited by shiver; 19-01-2007 at 03:18 PM.

ah... i stand corrected.

ya learn something new everyday!

That pretty much explained everything..

Doesn't need telephone lines
    T1/T3
    xDSL
    Cables

Needs Telephone lines

Dial up modems
    ADSL 128k modems
    56k Modems
    14.4k Modems etc

Lol i think geoexpat needs to start a debate forum too..
    Rather than a debate we need some means of moderating the rubbish being spouted with apparent authority by people who are actually fairly clueless...

All DSL (there's no difference between 128k ADSL and any other bandwidth of ADSL) goes over a standard telephone cable (at least for the last section to the subscriber's premises). Whether you choose also to use that cable for a phone service is up to you, but the cable has to be there.

T1 can be provided over the same type of wiring as well (possibly using two pairs of copper rather than just one as for DSL) but can also be provided in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Rather than a debate we need some means of moderating the rubbish being spouted with apparent authority by people who are actually fairly clueless...

All DSL (there's no difference between 128k ADSL and any other bandwidth of ADSL) goes over a standard telephone cable (at least for the last section to the subscriber's premises). Whether you choose also to use that cable for a phone service is up to you, but the cable has to be there.

T1 can be provided over the same type of wiring as well (possibly using two pairs of copper rather than just one as for DSL) but can also be provided in other ways.
    i think ADSL is not the same as DSL "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsl"

and for the telephone cable i think sunfire pretty much explained it already..

so i guess case close... tread is about advise for BB anyways..
    Last edited by shiver; 19-01-2007 at 05:10 PM.

i think ADSL is not the same as DSL
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line from which:

"DSL or xDSL, is a family of technologies that provide digital data transmission over the wires of a local telephone network. DSL originally stood for digital subscriber loop, although in recent years, many have adopted digital subscriber line as a more marketing-friendly term for the most popular version of DSL, ADSL."

Or a bit simpler: DSL is the generic term for IP over telephone cable, popular is Asynchronous DSL or ADSL with the download speed faster than the upload speed, and Sychronous DSL or SDSL where the upload and download speeds are the same.

djp

Not a big deal but "Asymmetric" is the A word in ADSL. Not symmetrical = up and down speeds differ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2