ISP advice in Hong Kong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ISP advice in Hong Kong

After reading some of the posts on this site regarding setting up a broadband connection, I thought my husband and I would head over to the Wan Chai MTR area and sign up for an ISP.

We want a high speed broadband connection. We use the internet for both Vonage and a Slingbox. We don't need a regular phone, we are just going to use mobiles here. We don't need cable tv - we are planning to watch tv over the slingbox and save some money on buying a HK tv. We are living in Happy Valley and will move into Ventris Place complex at the end of January.

I am not that tech savvy like a lot of users here but really want some advice.

I was wondering if you can negotiate with the vendors in that area? I heard that internet service is provided over phone lines here, is that true? Also, is there anything else I need to bring with me, like a copy of the lease? Can every ISP provide service in every building if it's coming over the phone line?

Thanks!

Hi Thewongs..

Since you are staying in happy valley i think mostly all the major internet service providers has the coverage in that area.

As for some suggestions and idea i've listed some ISP below

Hong Kong Broadband 100mbps - 1000mbps (runs at fiber optic)
    PCCW Netvigator 1.5mbps - 18mbps (runs at LAN)
    HGC Hatchison 1.5mbps - 10Mbps (runs in fiber optic)
    I-cable 1.5Mbps - unknown (LAN/Cable)

This list is the best or common choice

And about the internet that runs through phone line.. isn't that Dial up connections (which is alot slower) Usually people only use that for back up connection.

Shivers

hello thewongs!

if you're going to use Netvigator here in HK, they use DSL connections that have modems that are hooked up to a phone line. thus it is needed in order to connect.

iCable I believe uses a coax cable instead (not too sure, i'm just basing this on my comcast subsciption before in the US and I'm a netvigator user) so this doesn't need a phone line. but I think you still need to get a T.V. subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by shiver
    And about the internet that runs through phone line.. isn't that Dial up connections (which is alot slower) Usually people only use that for back up connection.
    Shivers
    actually DSL connections require a phone line still.

Is Netvigator just PCCW's internet service or is there more to it?

Broadband doesn't require to have phone line because this doesn't run through it..

and as far as i know broadband isn't a DSL connection

Quote Originally Posted by TaLL|dUdE
    actually DSL connections require a phone line still.

Quote Originally Posted by thewongs
    Is Netvigator just PCCW's internet service or is there more to it?
    I think there is only 2 choices in netvigator..
    one is residential and business connection

Residential subscription - connection through PPPoE which requires Login name and password

Business subscription has Dedicated IP no login is required
    Last edited by shiver; 19-01-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shiver
    Broadband doesn't require to have phone line because this doesn't run through it..

and as far as i know broadband isn't a DSL connection
    uhmm... might want to read up on this...

Broadband Internet access, often shortened to "broadband Internet" or just "broadband", is a high data-transmission rate internet connection. DSL and cable modem, both popular consumer broadband technologies, are typically capable of transmitting faster than dial-up modem (56 kbit/s (kilobits per second)). The real maximum download speed of a dial-up modem is only about 48 kbit/s (depending on phone-line quality and distance from the phone company), and upload speed is even slower (31.2 kbit/s for V.90, 44 kbit/s for V.92).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet_access

hahahahaha wikipediaed me... that shows your right it is DSL but it still doesn't require phoneline.

because i don't have phoneline at home.. and i use netvigator and i cable

Last edited by shiver; 19-01-2007 at 02:21 PM.

i was actually talking about ADSL 128Kbps modems sorry my bad..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast