Chinese XP to English

Closed Thread

Chinese XP to English

Hi Guys

My laptop came with Chinese Windows XP Home and I want to change it to English as the default.

Is there an easy way to do it? As I can't read Chinese I don't know how to change it etc. And its frustrating me as I can't get the laptop to work with wifi as of course I can't read any of the error messages that come up etc.

Tried to do a search on Microsoft website but can't seem to find anything, Am I better off just backing everything up and installing English windows?

Laptops well out of warranty now anyway thus it doesn't matter what I do to it.

You'll have to install everything again using an English version of Windows XP.

Jimbo, same problem with an IBM X31. I got good pointers from an online forum dedicated to ThinkPads and installed English XP Home and having previously pulled the drivers from the original installation updated it to a basic working level. Windows updates and everything else later and you would never know that it used to run in Chinese.

Thanks Disco

did a google search and couldn't find anything, so might take it down to wanchai cc and see if one of the techies there can do something for me.

Need a bigger hd and more ram on it anyway, hmmmm shall I just ditch it and get a new laptop? Its only 2 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    ... might take it down to wanchai cc and see if one of the techies there can do something for me.
    That's like asking you to install Chinese Windows - ha ha ha!

Any chance that the manufacturer has drivers on its website?

XP supports all languages in one version, so if you can find someone reasonably pc literate who can navigate the Chinese, it should be easy to switch. "Regional and Language Options" in control panel looks like the place to start. The "Languages" tab in there has a setting for the menu and dialog language, which would be a good start.

True dougp but you need to have the Multilanguage User Interface (MUI) installed and that is only available to OEM or at a business level and not for plebs like us.
    The Sony VAIO VGN-SZ32GP/B notebook and others in its price range (or higher) comes pre-installed with the MUI.

hey jimbo, what kind of laptop is that? i might have the restore discs for it. (in english of course)

Its a Benq Joybook 6000 for my sins, My only regrettable purchase gadget wise!

Was previously installed with English Windows at the shop but the HD crashed and Benq HK service centre only had Chinese Windows XP, thus I had no choice. But of course now its out of warranty it doesn't matter what I stick on it.

Got XP home edition installed on this one.