Which PDA??? Help!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which PDA??? Help!!!

I am about to venture back into the world of PDA ownership.

I have been looking at a number of PDA's and having spoken to owners, read reviews, read some stuff on this this decided to go for the Treo 680. I am no expert in this field and hope if anyone could cast a wiser eye on my reasoning below and tell me if I have missed anything out. Here were the contenders:

Blackberry - Can't install 3rd party apps and besides, work have told me I am looking at a 10 month wait to get one. Shame, as the live emails would be nice.

O2 XDA - Battery life isn't great

Dopod - Tried one out and thought it was more of a 'SlowPod'. Seems very slow but feature rich.

HP - iPaq's etc - Tried one out which also had GPS - was fantastic to be able to drive around with it giving directions. Battery sucked and it lasted about 30 mins before dying on me. Do love the GPS though.

Treo - Opting for the 680 as it appears to be a Palm O/S version of the 750. It is 2k cheaper than the 750 and am told the battery life is very good from Treo users. Also I live the Palm O/S over Windows Mobile 5. Big plus for me - I am allowed to synchronise Palm O/S with my Lotus Notes at work. I am NOT allowed to install ActiveSync on my Laptop so would not be able to synchronise using Windows Mobile. Downside, no GPS and no 3G.

Is my logic correct above or have I missed anything out.

Thanks!

There is a GSM version 7 series Treo on Palm OS slated to be released soon. It's out for Sprint in the US I believe, but not for GSM unfortunately.

The 680 does run longer than other similar devices though the 650 is supposed to be even better. My 650 is performing very well indeed and a welcome improvement over the O2 Atom (and the Exec and Stealth from what I have read and heard).
    The 680 runs a slightly newer version of the Palm OS than found in the 650 but essentially they are the same. So far, I have been very impressed considering the resources behind WM5. You will love the keyboard if you spend any amount of time emailing and texting.
    Downsides are lack of wi-fi on both the 680 and 650 (I don't see that having 3G as being an advantage considering the lack of content and appauling battery life).
    Let us know what you decide on getting.

what 3rd party apps are you looking for before anything else?

I'd go for neither of the above and look at the following.

Asus p535
    Eten Glofiish x500

Very good reviews etc and I'm getting the x500 soon.

Quite a good list above, only thing that crossed my mind: have you thought of Nokia E61? It's 3G, supports Blackberry email, GPS is possible but not built-in.

Anybody heard of I-Mate? They seem to be gaining some ground in Europe...?

I went for the sony ericsson p990i it had good reviews and the features I wanted. wireless connection, good battery life, uses symbian os etc.

Have had no problems with it, only problem its not sold by SE in hk so had to buy singapore version but it came with international warranty.

Many of my freinds have treos but get excited when inspecting the SE.

Quote Originally Posted by migao
    Anybody heard of I-Mate? They seem to be gaining some ground in Europe...?
    They're just repackaged dopods, made by the same factory in taiwan.

I have been using O2 XDAs for a few years now, currently an XDA IIs, and have been very happy with them. Depending on use the battery can last 2-3 days. Using bluetooth for GPS eats the battery, as does wireless, though not so much.

I wouldn't want to do without the wireless connectivity - so convenient when you are travelling and haven't got your gprs set up.

I use the O2 XDA Exec. It's the same as the Dopod 900, except in black. The Dopod is metallic grey. It has a big keyboard and the fastest processor of any PDA phone on the market AFAIK. WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G and GPRS. Two cameras. I use it with a 2 GB card. The keyboard is great. I can actually type very quickly on it. It does crash a lot though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast