Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boris

Cheapest way to call the Uk from HK

Cheapest way to call the Uk from HK

Hi what is the cheapest way to call uk from HK please thank you all - apart from skype

IDD calling cards
    Available just about everywhere for many quoted rates .
    For UK my personal choice ( for landlines is unbeatable ) is the RED ChatChat card (1649)
    Shinetown Telecommunication Limited
    I enable the 1649 VIP express system on my phone so only have to buy a card and charge the credit without having to pit in the card number every time.

There are many type of ways to do IDD here and I am sure many will follow this post for your choice.

muzzdang likes this.

Most times I use Skype, but once in a while from my mobile I think IDT Asia (1529) offer a consistently cheap rate to UK 'landline' (cheaper than from HK landline). Follow link and click 'Sample Rates'. They offer free minutes to start off with once you register. I also use PCCW 0060 (for better sound/clarity) BUT just whenever they email me that they're giving me their 'special promo' rate (also $0.18/min), which is maybe for a coupla months once or twice a year.

Haven't tried using calling cards though, and Boris' recommendation here seems interesting...

Last edited by emmie; 25-11-2010 at 01:59 PM.

The key thing, whatever method you use, is to call UK landline numbers - they will be about one tenth of the price of calling UK mobiles.

And then the price is so small (~HK$0.2/min) that I don't worry too much about who I use. Options include: 0060, 0080, 1529 (all of whom I have an account with). If you call a lot then you can get a fixed price "all you can eat" from 0088, but I think you need to commit to several months and it only makes sense if you are consistently spending over about 10 minutes every single day on calls to the bundled destinations.

Personally I almost always use 1529 from my mobile at HK$0.18. Unlike PCCW0060 they don't round every call up to the next 10 cents (though they do round to the minute, as I think everyone does now), and they send you your bill 2 weeks before they bill your credit card, unlike PCCW who, outrageously, bill your credit card and then send the bill 2 days later!

Quote Originally Posted by lalila
    Hi what is the cheapest way to call uk from HK please thank you all - apart from skype
    I *NEVER* use Skype EXCEPT for Skype2Skype calls. 'cos Skype connection charge + time charges add up to much more than VoipStunt's offering of 120 days FREE calls to MANY countries & then you can use the 10 Urines - Ooooops Euro credit you need to buy to get the 120 days FREE.

Oh, buy from HK - online and avoid the VAT that is otherwise charged on top of the ever increasingly dodgy 10 Euro currency + 0.50 Cents "Service Charge' <- which you can't avoid!

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot
    If you get an unlimited skype account, you can virtually call anywhere in the world.
    The issue is not whether you can call to a phone anywhere, but how much it costs!

To call designated mobiles in the UK is use a service called rebtel. It is a bit convoluted but it works for me.

I should point out it is not the ideal calling solution for everyone, but if you are looking to call designated mobiles in the UK and the people in the UK you are calling have lots of inclusive minutes in their calling plan, then it could be a good option.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot
    With an unlimited skype account, its an annual fee and thats it. There are no per min charges so the cost would really depend on how much you use it and the ROI would be based on the amount of usage. So lets say an unlimited skype account is 110 HKD a month and your average monthly calling is 1000 minutes, thats .11 a min, but the cost per call goes down the more you use it.

Sign up for a year and its 15% off the subscription rate. I have found it to be the most convenient since I call all around the world every month. It's cut down on my phone bill. I can also have calls from skype forwarded to my mobile as part of the package.
    So just to be clear, there is an amount that you can pay Skype which allows you to call to any phone number anywhere in the world (fixed or mobile) for an unlimited number of minutes. How much does that cost then? And can you provide a link? Because I think you're talking complete bollocks.

They have per country plans which, apart from countries where "mobile party pays for receiving calls", EXCLUDE calls to mobile phones. But they also have specific limits on how much you can call, both per day and per month, and to how many different numbers - they are by no means "unlimited", and in many cases they are more expensive than similar plans from proper phone companies (e.g. HGC's 0088 service).
    Last edited by PDLM; 11-12-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    To call designated mobiles in the UK is use a service called rebtel. It is a bit convoluted but it works for me.

I should point out it is not the ideal calling solution for everyone, but if you are looking to call designated mobiles in the UK and the people in the UK you are calling have lots of inclusive minutes in their calling plan, then it could be a good option.
    I think we've had this discussion before: the bolded bit is key - essentially Rebtel reverses the charges, but this may work in some circumstances, as you say.

So, as I said, it's to landlines only except in the countries where people pay to receive calls on their mobiles (US, Canada, China, Singapore, Thailand), there's a 24 month minimum commitment, and there are "fair usage" limits, so it's not unlimited.

And all that for Euro14.99 (let's say HK$160) per month which is about three times the price of the very similar package from HGC (which only has a 3 month minimum commitment).

Remind me again why I would want to buy it?