.hk domain and hosting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

.hk domain and hosting

I want to get a .hk domain just for a few personal pages which I find I can buy through HKDNR. But I'm a bit stuck on who I should use for actually hosting and providing the storage space for the site. HKDNR have about 30 partners, but I have no idea if any better than the rest or if any should be avoided - all advice gratefully received!

I normally use 1&1 for my .com pages, but I presume that they can't host .hk pages.

Cheers
    Chookie

They can host .hk pages. Just configure their DNS into the settings for your domain name and they'll resolve to the 1&1 servers.

Great - thanks for that.

So I guess I can just register the domain through HKDNR. Do I change the DNS settings at the HKDNR end? Apologies if it's a very basic question!

Cheers
    Chookie

Yeah, HKDNR allows you to set the DNS up when you register (and you can change it later).

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    They can host .hk pages. Just configure their DNS into the settings for your domain name and they'll resolve to the 1&1 servers.
    KIA:
    How does this work?!??
    I don't get it, sorry... :-(

When I check the Domain Name Availability via HKDNR, I do get dozens of domain service company like 1and1... so which one is the best?

Oakland, California and Shatin, Hong Kong

Hi, I'm also using 1&1 for my domain and web hosting back in the US. Since I came to HK, I've been having problems with uploading files. It seems like a lot of images get distorted when uploading via their FTP servers, which I'm guessing is because the lines in Taiwan still haven't been fully restored yet. I've emailed 1&1's customer support about it and they even said that HK isn't a supported country they provide service to.

So even if you configure your 1&1 hosting to work with a .hk domain, you may still have some problems with file/image distortion when uploading files to your webspace.

That's my experience anyway. Any of you have had no problems, or know how to fix the image distortion error?

What do you mean that the files are distorted?

What ISP are you on? The only time I've heard of images getting degraded are when people use Smartone's mobile broadband -- they have a transparent proxy (which they deny) which degrades images to keep bandwidth usage low.

If you want hosting for a HK website which will be predominantly viewed in HK it may be quicker (loading) if you host in HK.

Oakland, California and Shatin, Hong Kong

Here's an example: http://studiodream.com/album/2007_01...t/brucelee.jpg

Last month I uploaded an album of photos and a lot of them ended up being distorted. Some quite worse than the above example.

I'm using i-Cable... could that be a problem? I've downloaded and shared some of my favorite TV shows from back home via torrents just fine, so I didn't think it would be my ISP that's the cause.

Also on my end, I'm using the same album generator software and Photoshop as I've done before. On 1&1's end, they don't report any problems... I even emailed them one of the problem files and they said they received it fine and also uploaded it to my webspace, also without problem.

So the only conclusion I have is that for some reason some photos get distorted when uploading directly to my webspace via FTP.

Also as Lammarite mentioned, overseas-based websites are still loading slow for the most part... so it looks like hosting in HK would be better if it's for a HK audience.

I won't be doing that since I'm not doing anything commercial... and I'm mainly sharing the photos for people back home. So I'm just going to try reuploading every week or so until it works... hopefully those lines will be working normal again soon.

Having had a giant phonecall with 1&1 UK it seems that they can't cope with having a .hk domain pointed at them - which is possibly true (or support didn't understand me) but in any case it's going to be a too much like hard work to do it with them.......

So does anyone have a recommendation for a web host - either in HK, or a UK / US one that can cope with a .hk domain?

Many thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast