Switched from IE and Firefox

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    so far, I'm impressed. I miss a couple of the toolbars.. but overall, the speed and stability is pretty amazing... (firefox was taking up way too much memory and I could not be bothered playing with the tweaks that are recommended on various firefox blogs.
    Firefox is a bit of a pig in terms of ram, it just seems to allocate memory and more and more and never release it after you close a tab.

Opera is blazing fast, and light.

I use it Opera my Nokia for a while, I was pretty impressed with the little portal for mobiles they have. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to browse at a decent rate on a mobile. Entering URLs is a breeze.
    Last edited by hk.com; 26-02-2007 at 03:01 AM.

I use Opera Mobile on my phone too - nothing comes close to it in terms of speed.

Firefox is ok for general surfing, but was taking up a LOT of memory with an AJAX application which almost runs 24/7 on my desktop and refreshes posts from around 5 or 6 active forums we run.

Just installed Opera and noticed that GMail's javascript is not working as it should by refreshing the page every two minutes.

Agree with Chigger & discobay - I've tried Opera a few times over the last couple of years and although it's nice, there was always something that made me give up on it. Maybe time for another try.

Without GMail's auto refresh for new mail Opera is next to useless for me. Is memory footprint is large but atleast that shrinks when minimized unlike Firefox.

discobay : not sure what you mean by gmail's auto-refresh? You mean when you keep the Gmail inbox open, it does not show the new emails?

I have google's chat application .. so never had to leave the gmail window open.

GMail uses javascript to check for new emails. The number of unread emails is shown against the Inbox even if you have an email open or are composing. This is not working in Opera.

To help with compatibility you can edit site preferences & choose how Opera identifies it's self to the world. I read somewhere that it is best to choose Firefox.

Unfortunately since version 9 this is no longer a general setting & has to be applied to each site.

Opera's attempt to stamp its mark on the world. They urge users to contact site admins if pages don't load correctly.

I find Opera is a light weight, fast & slick browser.

Thanks that seems to have worked but as you say is not ideal. Strange that Firefox is recommended over IE.