Dead computer repair services

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ouch!

I'd get a second opinion and take it to wanchai or mongkok and get them to see if they can do anything with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Now it turns out the hard drive is bad. I was told that the 250 GB Dell hard drives aren't very "stable" and that the shock of moving probably started to kill it off.
    That will jump the price towards US$500.
    I am always a little sceptical when the handyman starts blaming the tools. Last I looked, the Dell hard drives were Seagates which have been around long enough to take a beating or two ... unless you moved it whilst powered on ofcourse. Definately get another quote or kiss that data good bye.

We'll see what happens next week when the drive comes back. That computer being dead is causing all sorts of problems here--no Skype, in addition to the missing files.

Very much agree.. "handyman starts blaming the tools" seagates is pretty good hd..

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    I am always a little sceptical when the handyman starts blaming the tools. Last I looked, the Dell hard drives were Seagates which have been around long enough to take a beating or two ... unless you moved it whilst powered on ofcourse. Definately get another quote or kiss that data good bye.

Just to finsh my end of this. It ended up costing HK2180 and that incudes a new 160 GB hard drive. Plus two trips to my apartment, about 5 hours of work during those 2 trips plus whatever it took to recover the data back at his office. He installed all the Dell drivers, Windows XP, Norton, Netvigator too. Seemed like a good deal to us.

Oh, and it wasn't a Seagate 250 GB drive that went bad, but a Western Digital.

Sleuth, not that a good deal to be honest, the computer centres could of done it for you for a lot lot less.

Yes you have to take the hd there and leave it with them for a few hours whilst they back everything up for you. But thats not a problem.

Maybe next time. It was a panic-emergency thing.

Never mind, you got what you wanted in the end. Now take a backup!

hehehe.. nice one db..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast