WRT54G can't acquire IP address

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WRT54G can't acquire IP address

I'm not sure anyone will be able to help, but since I can't find the answer through googling, here goes :
    I turned off my WRT54G router while I was on holidays and now that I'm back, I can't seem to be able to connect to the internet wirelessly. The router keeps saying it can't acquire an IP address. Occasionally it will work for a couple of hours and then nothing for the rest of the day.
    I have an iBook G4 (mac osX) and a netvigator broadband connection. So my WRT54G (which doesn't have firmware updates for mac) connects to the internet using PPOE.
    Help!
    Thanks!

actually you can upgrade the firmware even if you're on a mac.
    you just download it from the site and use an ethernet cable connection to log in the router portal.

go to the upgrade page and select the firmware and upload it.

with regards to the net connection, have you checked if maybe they had a maintenance upgrade or something? or maybe check the ethernet cable from the modem to the router?

when you log in the routers web page and checked the status tab. is there an ip address there?

I have downloaded the update .bin file from the site but it won't "unstuff" itself!
    My internet connection works fine through ethernet but I really need wireless to work and when I go to the router page it says "can't acquire IP"... and indeed no IP shows up.

Chances are that the WEP key might be messed up or reset.

Looked at that?

you're not supposed to unstuff the bin file. that's what you upload.

you can also try the open source versions out there that give the router even more features. the signal strength is more powerful too.

I'm using a WPA personal, should I change to WEP?

Also, I looked into the third-party software but it seems so complicated to upload...I'm not that savvy...

>> I'm using a WPA personal, should I change to WEP?

Does not matter as long as the settings on your computer match the settings on the router.

Wireless Encryption

I agree with KIA.
    I had a similar issue in the past and it turned out to be my encryption.

Try to turn off your encryption (WPA, WEP, etc.) for a short time just to see if you can connect.

Your settings have been lost due to the prolonged power off time.

Thanks all for the support... It took me forever, I ended up hooking up hooking up a PC I borrowed, it took me ages but I rebooted, did the upgrade from the PC and updated my info and it seems to be working fine now. Actually better than it ever did. Hope it keeps....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast