Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bdw
  • 1 Post By bdw
  • 1 Post By AGxM

Video recording by Still camera

Closed Thread

Video recording by Still camera

My Sony handycam got some probs so I tried to record video with my Cannon SX100 still camera. The recording quality came very good but the size of file is very heavy. appx 700 MB for 5 minutes recording

why its so heavy ??
    Can I convert the recording to lower size without damaging video quality ?

SX100 is not the best for capturing video. Max resolution is only 640x480 @ 30fps. You also can not zoom in and out while recording (only digital but not optical). It also doesnt record using a good codec such as H.264 which dramatically reduces file size. So about 2mb per second is normal for your model.

There are a lot of nice compact cameras out there now that record FullHD (1920x1080) whilst using the latest codec that allows a few hours to be recorded on a standard memory stick.

Of course you can do some post processing on your PC to reduce the file size. But this will not help you to keep the file size down whilst you are out and about.

PKS_2000 likes this.

Can you please suggest a good video recording camera - lower price range ?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    SX100 is not the best for capturing video. Max resolution is only 640x480 @ 30fps. You also can not zoom in and out while recording (only digital but not optical). It also doesnt record using a good codec such as H.264 which dramatically reduces file size. So about 2mb per second is normal for your model.

There are a lot of nice compact cameras out there now that record FullHD (1920x1080) whilst using the latest codec that allows a few hours to be recorded on a standard memory stick.

Of course you can do some post processing on your PC to reduce the file size. But this will not help you to keep the file size down whilst you are out and about.

I personally like the Sony T range of compact cameras. The smaller the better for me. Even the most basic cheapo T110 model does 720p HD video and you can fit a couple of hours worth on a standard 8GB stick. You can also zoom in/out while recording and record up to 10 minutes video at a time before having to press stop and start again (which I think is fine for most uses).

Or you can step up to the Sony TX100V that was just announced at CES last month. It does 1080p at 60 frames per second.

Basically the traditional video camera for the everyday consumer is dead. Why lug around one of those beasts when a normal compact camera records excellent quality video these days. Hell, even an iphone 4 captures video at 720p now.

PKS_2000 likes this.

I got a Sanyo CG100 recently and is ok for still and movies - about $1200 from Wan Chai Computer centre IIRC

PKS_2000 likes this.