New Notebook, considering DELL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

New Notebook, considering DELL

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a notebook through DELL online, though I've noticed that Windows Vista is the only option for an English language OS. I'm not familiar with Vista and know for a fact that most of the applications I'm running now won't work on it. WinXP is only offered in Chinese. Is there anyway around it?

One thing I'm considering is actually buying the machine pre-installed with WinXP in Chinese and then do a reformat and clean install of the OS in English (I have the original CD).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to solve this? I would appreciate any help.

I've also asked a few people on the threads about this, but I figured I'd post this generally and get some feedback from other users as well.

Thanks everyone!

If you phone them they will give you XP pre-installed. They can be pretty reasonable...well unless you get a unhappy person on the other end of the line.

So what would be the actual procedure to do so?

Assuming I was to go ahead and order a system through them online and select Vista and then call them up to change the requirement to WinXP?

Considering how problematic their CS might be over the phone, would that be a viable option? I don't want to be stuck with a new notebook that has Vista even after they've promised to give me English WinXP....

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    So what would be the actual procedure to do so?

Assuming I was to go ahead and order a system through them online and select Vista and then call them up to change the requirement to WinXP?

Considering how problematic their CS might be over the phone, would that be a viable option? I don't want to be stuck with a new notebook that has Vista even after they've promised to give me English WinXP....
    Rather than ordering on the site call them to order. Confirm what you want and ask them to email the quote to you. Sign the quote and fax it back you will have no problems.

The people I have spoken to have been very good over the phone and I speak with a terrible South African accent.

I am going to need a new desktop within the next few months and I am hearing from suppliers that Vista is giving them problems....not sure what tho.

Can't we ask for Xp with upgradeable?

Yes you can. I've pm'd Max with the procedure.

Yip that is what I have at the moment. Vista License (technically) but I am running a legal copy of XP on it. When i want to go to Vista I can without an issue.

I think I'll go that route as well.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    Yes you can. I've pm'd Max with the procedure.
    Thanks Db. I've still to make up my mind about Dell. Though from what I can get online (with my chosen specs) other brands are proving to be waaaaay out of budget.

Dell is really hard to compete with. I think they look nice too. I'm sure I'm going Dell this time. I've always bought IBM but feel the need to BREAK free. Just kidding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast