Problems with PC

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

yes definitely start with the ps2 mouse and work from there. after using a ps2 mouse ( you know is working correctly ) you should be able to install the correct drivers for your USB mouse.

sometimes - there is the odd instance where you will need to add your usb mouse driver to the startup batch.

glad to hear you are getting things sorted out.

Last edited by WalkAbout; 22-03-2007 at 10:15 AM.

update

Ok, nearly home now. I added a PS/2 mouse and it worked straight away. Now after getting into XP ok, I have discovered that my on-board audio has also gone walkabout.
    So, I now have no USB sockets working and no audio (realtek).

Is it possible to add a PCI soundcard and USB hub card, to replace them? Will they work?
    Can't really afford to buy a whole new MoBo or PC so this will be my last option i think.

Thanks for any advice offered, as always.

Re-install all of your drivers. Uninstall the sound card and USB drivers.

Then Reinstall again.

If any of those instruction people here have provided and did not work. Try this one. This might solve the problem.

Re-Set BIO's completely (not by removing Battery)
    There is a jumper on your Mother Board Usually it's called JP1 or BIO there are 3 pin and 1 jumper on that section (jumper is on 1-2 pin).

Currently it is set to pin 1-2, what you need to do is remove the jumper and place it to pin 2-3 turn on your computer (Computer will turn on but no responds from the system. No video or Sounds responds)

When you completed that, turn off the computer and put back the jumper to pin 1-2
    That should set BIO's Back to default.

Then try both PS/2 and USB keyboard/mouse see if it works.
    If it doesn't I suspect your Motherboard sockets are dead.

Last edited by shiver; 23-03-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Hey thanks guys. Will try all of this tonight. My wife will be pleased. Another evening spent fiddling with the 'puter. Heh heh.

device manager report ?

Quote Originally Posted by HKLozzo:
    Ok, nearly home now. I added a PS/2 mouse and it worked straight away. Now after getting into XP ok, I have discovered that my on-board audio has also gone walkabout.
    So, I now have no USB sockets working and no audio (realtek).

Is it possible to add a PCI soundcard and USB hub card, to replace them? Will they work?
    Can't really afford to buy a whole new MoBo or PC so this will be my last option i think.

Thanks for any advice offered, as always.
    what does "device manager" say about your sound card ?

right click on my computer / properties / hardware tab / device manager button / ~ locate your sound card ~

are there any error icons ? you may see a small icon noting an error

is the device enabled and working correctly ? locate your sound card expand the item, right click, select properties, read notice inside the information box
    Last edited by WalkAbout; 25-03-2007 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkAbout:
    what does "device manager" say about your sound card ?

right click on my computer / properties / hardware tab / device manager button / ~ locate your sound card ~

are there any error icons ? you may see a small icon noting an error

is the device enabled and working correctly ? locate your sound card expand the item, right click, select properties, read notice inside the information box
    Hi again,

Walkabout, sorry m8. I wasn't clear before. Device Manager was not showing a sound card listed. Anyway, to jump right to the present. I had already bought a PCI sound card and it worked right off. So that was fixed.
    But it has all gone horribly wrong since then.
    On Saturday evening, the PC was just switching itself off intermittently. Then after a while, it wouldn't even switch on past the POST test. I pulled the plug and decided it was the power supply to blame. (it was only 250w unit).
    I bought a new one from WCC on Sunday morning (420w unit, brand new). I went home, fitted it OK and switched on. Nothing! Well, not nothing, the PS fans were working and the PC's power light was going on/off rapidly. The mouse & keyboard had power also. But the CPU fan was not going round and the HD was not making any noise. Nothing was showing on the screen either.
    Oh dear! I was so close to getting it all running again and now it seems worse than ever. Any kind sole willing to set me on the right path again? I probably should have bit the bullet and took it to a professional right from the off. Anyway, thanks for any advice offered.

Cheers

Check that the cpu is seated correctly and likewise for the heatsink.
    Check the ram is seated correctly; if in doubt remove and replace.
    Unplug all unnecessary peripherals like additional drives, cd/dvd drives, sound cards firewire cards usb cards etc. then try to boot up.

Ok. I'm assuming that i need to verify that the mobo will run the POST test OK? I did try unplugging the drives already but it didn't change anything. I will try it with all other cards removed next ( though the graphics card is an on-board type.

Thanks m8.

Quote Originally Posted by HKLozzo:
    Ok. I'm assuming that i need to verify that the mobo will run the POST test OK? I did try unplugging the drives already but it didn't change anything. I will try it with all other cards removed next ( though the graphics card is an on-board type.

Thanks m8.
    Also a very good test is when you push the power into the PSU or turn on the plug at the wall if all your cards are seated correctly the power supply fan should spin round once or twice. If it doesn't do that take your cards out and reseat them again.

Doesn't always work but it is a good yardstick test.