Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By climber07

film developing equipment?

Closed Thread

film developing equipment?

Hi all.

Any suggestions where I can buy a developing tank, darkroom bag, developer and stopper from? I went to Stanley Street in Central and talked to the guys at the shop nearest to the steps. They said they could order in the developing tank and maybe darkroom bag, but that the chemicals don't exist in HK.

Now, they have a vested interest in saying this because if I developed film myself, they wouldn't get this custom from me anymore, but does anyone know where to locate the chemicals from?

Many thanks

Found it for anyone looking for the same. Photoscience on Stanley Street has everything. Makes my experience in the camera shop by the steps on Stanley Street all the more bitter. Not very professional at all.

Photoscience have everything - developing tank, squeegee, chemicals, developing bag, flasks etc etc. Slightly on the expensive side but well worth it nontheless. They are a little more expensive for developing and scanning colour films than the other shops on Stanley Street but at least they don't seem to lie.

Ok, so first of all the store name is not Photoscience but rather:

Photo Scientific
    Ground Floor, 6 Stanley St
    Central, Hong Kong
    +852 2525 0550
    [email protected]

They probably have the most complete collection of equipment and chemicals in HK (although that is only true for Black & White processing).

The shop by the Pedder Street steps you were referring to was probably not lying to you....chemicals for color processing are nearly impossible to get in HK (we have to rely on the internet...Ebay and such). Occasionally, Wing Shing in Mong Kok will sell kodafix and kodak t-max developer.

Also, if you're into photography, I would highly suggest joining HKPC (Hong Kong Photography Club) as posting a thread there will likely get you much faster replies.

Hong Kong Photography Club Meetup Group (Hong Kong) - Meetup

Yes Photo Scientific are the place.

Regarding the international conspiracy to trick you out of the cost of developing a roll of film, maybe it's time for a reality check, eh?

On a related topic, does anyone know if there's a darkroom available for the public anymore? It seems the darkroom at the Arts Centre has closed down?

Photographic Dark Room

You can rent this place in Aberdeen... on evenings / weekends. Some photo studios have dark rooms for rent as well.
    dipper likes this.

Thanks Climber for the correction in the name.

Dipper - I take about four or five rolls of B+W into that shop per week. I asked them for black and white developing chemicals and they said it doesn't exist. I appreciate I didn't make myself clear in my post and whilst it may not be an international conspiracy, it does irk me that they must have known that 200 yards down the street a shop sells the stuff I am looking for. Very unprofessional. Reality Check? Why not try to be less flippant?