Satellite Radio in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

really? never heard...

Buying Satellite Radio In Hk

Will the satellite radio bought in Hong Kong work in the United States? Would there be certain specifications needed so it would be compatible? I am particularly interested at the SIRIUS STILETTO 2 model. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I bought and used a "Worldspace" satellite radio some years ago. The reception was very good and trouble free plus much was in stereo. There were continous music channels in classical or pop or what have you, most enjoyable. The radio was made by Hitachi and had it's own antenna about 4 inches square and the angle for reception had about a 70 degree width so positioning was not critical but is best put near or outside of a window. For HK a window facing to the south and west is needed. When I had the radio initially most channels were free to air, but they gradually required subscriptions for many channels, there were still some free to air though. I tried at the time to pay some subs but I was told that in HK it was not possible. However, I believe this has now changed. Unfortunately the radio went wrong and I have been told by Hitachi Japan that as they no longer manufacture the radio, it cannot now be repaired. So do bear in mind that what ever brand you buy do make sure that it can be serviced. Currently I am tempted to buy another one as the sound quality was excellent, BUT...... I would prefer a radio that could receive any satelite broadcasting free to air audio radio and so far have yet to find one. No outside dish is requried for such broadcasts as for as I know, as long as the radio has it's own antenna.

If anyone can come forward with more information on the subject , I for one would be interested.

Last edited by DXER; 27-06-2008 at 07:59 PM.

I bought and used a "Worldspace" satellite radio some years ago. The reception was very good and trouble free plus much was in stereo. There were continous music channels in classical or pop or what have you, most enjoyable. The radio was made by Hitachi and had it's own antenna about 4 inches square and the angle for reception had about a 70 degree width so positioning was not critical but is best put near or otside of a window. For HK a window facing to the south and west is needed. When I had the radio initially most channels were free to air, but they gradually required subscriptions for many channels, there were still some free to air though. I tried at the time to pay some subs but I was told that in HK it was not possible. However, I believe this has now changed. Unfortunately the radio went wrong and I have been told by Hitachi Japan that as they no longer manufacture the radio so it cannot be repaired. So do bear in mind that what ever brand you buy do make sure that it can be serviced. Currently I am tempted to buy another one as the sound quality was excellent, BUT...... I would prefer a radio that could receive any satelite broadcasting free to air audio radio and so far have yet to find one. No outside dish is requried for such broadcasts as for as I know, as long as the radio has it's own antenna.

If anyone can come forward with more information on the subject , I for one would be interested.