Laptop wanted! Need expert's recommendation of brand and shops~

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz
    I concur - get a Mac. If you're not used to Macs, it'll feel a little weird to start with, but you'll find it's easier and more fun to use than a Windows machine, comes with basic creative tools and has others easily available, and it's worth it just for the brain savings from not having to worry about the crappiness that is Windows.

On the other hand, if there's specific Windows stuff you need to run, you can, using either Boot Camp, or something like Parallels or VMWare...
    Hell has truly frozen over.....

Using a Mac? this coming from YOU? I thought you're a hardcore Linux-er through and through.....

I'm not a Mac user so I'll refrain from any comment (positive or negative). However, I currenty own several Dell laptops (both Work Issued and Home Purchased). Currently, I would not recommend purchasing a DELL laptop for 2 reasons:

1: Weight; DELL laptops are deceitfully heavy (even the smaller models).

2. Customer Service; The tech support has really gone down hill in the last few years and unless you enjoy being on hold for 2 hours waiting to speak to a representative, I would not advise it.

My advice is go to Wanchai Computer Center (Its right next to Wanchai MTR station above McDonalds). They literally have hundreds of different laptop models (Sony, Toshiba, etc.) you can play with. Many are extemely small and portable. Find the one you like and shop around for best price. Many of them will come with full warrnaty etc. You may even be able to find better prices elsewhere on the Kowloon side (maybe Mongkok? etc.). I just know that Wanchai Computer Center has a huge selection to look at.

Oh No I'm Trapped In Geekland

style you seem quite bright. Just go for an established brand that suits yr budget and has good customer support.

Quote Originally Posted by climber07

1: Weight; DELL laptops are deceitfully heavy (even the smaller models).

2. Customer Service; The tech support has really gone down hill in the last few years and unless you enjoy being on hold for 2 hours waiting to speak to a representative, I would not advise it.
    Odd. I have never thought of my Dell as heavy.

We are all on the Platinum service level and I have not had an issue with their support in years.

I suppose each unto their own

Tailor needed

Can anybody recommend a good bespoke tailor?

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    Can anybody recommend a good bespoke tailor?
    In a laptop thread?!?!

Well my tailor is off Lan Kwai Fong and I am going for the first fitting tomorrow so will let you know.

Hmmm... looks like I'll have to go down to Wanchai on my own and spend hours there. Not fun at all...

Quote Originally Posted by stylejj
    Hmmm... looks like I'll have to go down to Wanchai on my own and spend hours there. Not fun at all...
    Loads of fun I went camera shopping there over the weekend....well and PC shopping. Never got the pc though. I often drop in at the Computer Centre while trying to find a cab.

ta very much

Don't you realise a good tailor can work with any thread.

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    Don't you realise a good tailor can work with any thread.
    Fantastic Tailor Co. The first road to your right after you are heading up Lan Kwai Fong (Stanley st I think) 2862 3008.

Nice guy and the quality looks good for a reasonable price.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast