Laptop wanted! Need expert's recommendation of brand and shops~

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Monde:
    Odd. I have never thought of my Dell as heavy.

We are all on the Platinum service level and I have not had an issue with their support in years.

I suppose each unto their own
    True

Interestingly enough I never considered Dell heavy until my wife complained that the laptop was very difficult to carry and considerable heavier than those owned by most of her colleagues. It was only after those comments that I started noticing the weight of other laptops. To my surprise, I think Dells may be the heaviest on the market (obviously depends on screen size, etc).

I'm not sure what the Platinum Service level is (as I never purchased a separate plan from Dell), but I do know that when I last called DELL in 2006 (when my wife noticed several dead pixel lines on her monitor) I was on hold for about 2 hours. When I finally got transferred to a representative and described the issue, we went though the full "idiot proof" checklist (of turning the computer off and removing the battery then turning it back on, making sure the dead pixel lines were not part of the wallpaper, screen saver, etc.). Unfortunately, after about 40 minutes on the call, the connection with New Dehli was lost. As the Dell Representative never asked for my number I did not get a call back and had to call again and wait for another 45 minutes. To even a greater surprise none of my conversation or the steps taken were recorded on my account by the previous representative and I had to go through the entire checklist again only to finally have dell FedEx me the box to send in my Laptop to the factory (this took another 45 minutes). That lack of care for my time is the reason I will stop being a Dell customer going forward.

Seems like we had different experiences and I'm glad you're happy with yours.
    Last edited by climber07; 10-04-2007 at 05:21 PM.

Yeah Climber07 very different.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have same/next day replacement service. I phone and within 24 hours there is a technician at the door with a spare part that they swap out. I got them to replace my brothers screen when he was in London as he was under the same contract.

I've been very happy with various IBM Thinkpads over the last decade; there's a range from very slim and light up to big desktop replacements. I wouldn't know what their customer support is like though - I've never had reason to call them. My current T41 is 3.5 years old, solid but light, and still going strong. My previous one (an A21p if I remember correctly) was, deliberately, a bigger beast with everything built in, and that was still working fine when I left the company after about 5 years with it.

Last edited by PDLM; 10-04-2007 at 05:28 PM.

I'm a Mac user with Creative Suite 2 but the same would apply for a PC in that it uses a lot of running space.
    If all you are doing is picture editing you may want to look at some other software which isn't quite as comprehensive. If you need to use CS then you will have to bump up the specs of your PC so it will run properly and smoothly.

After all, anyone interested in going to Wanchai computer centre this weekend/next weekend? I need HELP! Wandering around store by store won't help me make up my mind, especially I don't even know the right questions to ask the sales men.

Get a Sony Vaio TX! Just got one of these about a month ago at Tsim Sha Tsui Golden Computer Center and this babys just awesome! Only 1,2kt, the best display u can buy for money, battery will last up to 8 hrs(!!!!), and I dont even need to talk about the style..

Quote Originally Posted by humsel:
    Get a Sony Vaio TX! Just got one of these about a month ago at Tsim Sha Tsui Golden Computer Center and this babys just awesome! Only 1,2kt, the best display u can buy for money, battery will last up to 8 hrs(!!!!), and I dont even need to talk about the style..
    I am interested in the TX series which model did you get?

stylejj: don't fret you don't need to buy on sight; take a look around and ask without obligation.

picasso: feeling a little neglected?

Quote Originally Posted by humsel:
    How much did you get it for and which model?

Feeling neglected moi

Discobay you've seen right though my shallow facade. Please please please help me

Last edited by picasso; 10-04-2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spilt wrung

Greetings potential laptop buyer. My humble opinion as a road warrior on his 4th laptop:
    Make a list highlighting what you want the thing for. For me, the priorities were reliability/resilience (can withstand a fall from the aircraft overhead locker), warranty, battery life, weight. Speed not so much an issue for me (eg slower spinning hard drives have slower access times but use less energy). Maybe different if you want to play games and watch movies (when you need a widescreen). But then, why not buy a TV? PC/Issue depends on what you normally use - don't change the OS just for the laptop. Remember, laptops are moved and dropped unlike desktops (for which best bang for buck is the rule). My personal choice has been Toshiba and Thinkpads. Very unsexy but very relialble (even now Thinkpads are Chinese Lenovo). My last Thinkpad developed a power fault after 2 years use so I took it to the thinkpad centre at Taikooshing and they replaced the motherboard under warranty in 24h at no cost with questions - pretty good service.
    Important: Whatever brand you buy, make sure it has a three year warranty because unlike desktops, laptops are prone to problems because they get moved. For example previously (may have changed) when I looked, Sony Vaios only had a one year warranty - useless. I need battery life so just bought a Thinkpad X60 that has no optical drive but I know it will work when I start my presentations...
    You can check out Wanchai, Mongkok and Golden Center if you have time. But actually I found that the retail store Gome had a very competitive deal.
    Good luck.

GM