Like Tree5Likes

NASA proves Relativity....meh!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    I'm with freetrader on this.
    This sounds like more academic's propensity for self-engrandizement.

I like this quote:

"GP-B confirmed two of the most profound predictions ofEinstein's universe, having far-reaching implications across astrophysics research," he said, predicting the mission would "have a lasting legacy on Earth and in space."... Right.

The theory was proved by observation of Mercury in 1919 and 1922 (and many times after that).
    Also by evidence such as Einsteins' Ring, Gravitational Lensing, Gravitational Redshifting. Even frame dragging was found in data from the Mars Polar Explorer.
    At least its more proof.
    I don't know what this means but it all sounds very sexy. Go on...

Unless you're a man

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat
    I don't know what this means but it all sounds very sexy. Go on...

Unless you're a man
    Thanx for this (I think)???

Yes I'm a man.
    Should I confine myself to football talk, WTF?

meh ... not so interested anymore.

Unless you're going to talk football talk like you talk science talk....

Sorry, no interest in football.

...so you're leaving this thread, right?

Yep! But I will keep checking back for some more of your sexy prose.

Consider that last thing at night before you go to sleep.

:-D

Yep! But I will keep checking back for some more of your sexy prose.

Consider that last thing at night before you go to sleep.

:-D
    And I thought you were married...oh wait!!!

meh ... not so interested anymore.

Unless you're going to talk football talk like you talk science talk....

Football Relativity for LuckyCat:

Gravitational waves. Think of a FOOTBALL floating in space. When it moves, it makes waves (gravity waves) just like a FOOTBALL in water. If it moves a lot, or the FOOTBALL is very big, the waves could cause another FOOTBALL to move, that is floating nearby. These waves travel at 300,000 km per second.

Black holes. Think of a very big, very heavy FOOTBALL in space (like abig old star), if you were strong enough (but no human or human tool is strong enough - no personal comment intended), you could crush the FOOTBALL so small it had no size. Certain old stars collapse unto themselves when their nuclear fuel is used up -into a blackhole. A blackhole is interesting in that, even though it has no size, it still weighs the same and anything coming near it (like light or another star) cannot ever leave.

Energy & Mass. E = mc2 is essential about really, really small FOOTBALLS sub-atomic particles and means energy can convert one FOOTBALL into another different FOOTBALL. For instance 2 FOOTBALLS thrown at each other at sufficient energy can make them morph into 2 different FOOTBALLS. OR you can take a FOOTBALL and make it into energy.

Fission, fusion and bombs. There are 2 ways to make nuclear energy. In fission, energy is released when a heavy FOOTBALL, like an uranium FOOTBALL is split into 2 smaller/lighter FOOTBALLS. In fusion, 2 smaller/lighter FOOTBALLS are combined into one bigger FOOTBALL to release energy (the new FOOTBALL weighs less than the original two). If you are blown up by an atomic bomb, it will because of these FOOTBALLS and your body will end up as many tiny, tiny little Luckycat FOOTBALLS.

Cosmology. Think of the universe as a big FOOTBALL. The FOOTBALL was very small until it inflated in the BIG BANG. The origin and structure of the universe, has a lot to do with gravity, which determines the behaviour of all matter. Einsteins theories predict certain types of behaviour for the universe, such as when Hubble discovered in 1929 that the universe, sorry,FOOTBALL is getting bigger everyday!

Speed of Light is Constant. The speed of light being constant for everyone. Einstein said that all observers will measure the speed of light to be 186,000 miles per second, no matter how fast and what direction they are moving. For instance, you are travelling in a FOOTBALL at the speed of light and turn on a flashlight. For you things looks normal, you can see the beam, but from the view of someone standing outside watching the FOOTBALL fly by, the flashlight does do not appear to turn on. Light comes out but it takes an eternity for the beams to get ahead of the spaceship.

Time & Space is Relative. Rulers and clocksthe things that mark time and space are not the same for different observers. For instance, a 100 foot-long FOOTBALL travelling at 99.99percent the speed of light will appear one foot long to a stationary observer, but it will remain its normal length for those onboard. Also, time passes slower the faster one goes. If a twin rides in the speeding FOOTBALL to some distant star and then comes back,she will be younger than her sister who stayed on Earth.

Mass is Relative. The faster a FOOTBALL moves, the more massive it becomes. In fact, no FOOTBALL can ever reach 100 percent of the speed of light because its mass would grow to infinity.
    Last edited by TigerSun; 06-05-2011 at 04:32 PM.

I have a man-crush.

If you're from Alabama, the theory of relativity dictates how many cousins removed they have to be before you can date them.

Luckycat, man-crushes apply there too, "yu's gotta a purdy mouth boy," cue twanging banjo's.

I am sure if Einstein were to be alive today, he'd have most definitely said - I told you so....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast