PCCW says its all my fault

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PCCW says its all my fault

Our office internet has been extremely slow sending out emails since the earthquake a while back...
    first they said it was no problem...then after continuous requests to check again and again...now they say that a specific IP address is continuously sending out emails with attachments...which is causing the network to be bogged down.....and this is a result of a VIRUS on the computer connected to that specific IP address...

the problem is...its my computer...and its a MAC.
    There has been practically ZERO viruses in history of mac...so i am 100% positive its a ploy since they have no clue what to do with non-PC's...nbot ot mention my MAC is a laptop that is shut off, unplugged or not here half the time.

what could the problem be? and how to solve it?
    it sounds like it is a problem with the router or modem, or possibly my internet settings or email account settings on entourage....

Get whoever set your office network up to come and look at it - that surely must be more efficient than trying to get help on a board like this?
    If for some reason you can't use them then try these guys - they are very efficient: http://www.tecsupp.com/ (run by a gwailo, but not particularly expensive)

welll.....PCCW is the ones who set it up....and they have looked at our network several times saying its fine....

and now PCCW is coming back to inspect my mac...but they know nothing about macs....so its kind of pointless

just checking to see if anyone here is tech savy on networks or this type of problem

Surely the simplest way to prove the point is simply to disconnect the mac from the network? If the problem persists then it ain't the mac!

already did that...they say it doesnt prove anythin ... lol

Are you running your own mail server on the LAN or are all the machines connecting to PCCW's mail server?

all connected to PCCW netvigator mail

the PC's use outlook, which PCCW setup
    My mac uses Entourage, which I setup....as the install guy did not know what a mac was

we have a NetDSL modem connected to a Linksys Wireless-G router, connected to a NetScreen firewall, connected to a generic Ethernet HUB

the HUB is then connected to 3 PC's, 1 Mac, and 1 Laser Printer

So if the problem is what they say it is (lots of emails clogging up the network) then all you have to do is to disconnect the machines one by one until it frees up. This really shouldn't be too hard. If you have access to the router logs you should be able to work it out from there anyway.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast