Like Tree9Likes

camera repair shop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Just wondering if those who got the repairs done could give us an update as to if the cameras are still working. I have a camera that is from 5 yrs old Canon Powershot elph that took absolutely goregous pics. I started seeing liquidly stuff through the screen instead of the subject (so maybe an LCD issue?). I was going to toss it but thought one day when i go to HK/China perhaps I could get it repaired.

Is an appt needed w/ Hi-speed. Does he give a quote on the price before fixing it or is it a fixed price? will he charge if it can't be fixed? I read reviews that say dig cameras durability doesn't depend on the years but on number of shots you take, so the more shots you take the faster it'd reach the end of its life cycle. But yea..with the cheap prices of cameras now, if it cost $50 USD to fix, I'd prob opt for a new camera.

Do cameras sold nowadays use "compact flash" and do the newer computers in Asia come w/ the CF media slots? I'm thinking if i bring this camera over to get repaired and the warranty is ONLY 3 months, then maybe I'll just leave it behind for my niece in Mainland. But if CF cards are obsolete or if the laptops don't have the CF slots then it won't make sense for them to have it. Sorry, we're a little behind in gadgets over here than in Asia.

Hi Sushilover,

Yes, my camera still works great. To be honest, I haven't used it much since and the fault was superficial: a bent 'front barrel' (I think it's called?!) was stopping the lens from extending. Raymond quoted me before doing the work. We didn't speak at all about the terms of repair, but one of the earlier posters mentioned that he offers a warranty.

Sharna

A quick bump to this thread to sing the praises of Raymond Yuen. My very expensive Lumix G2 stopped taking pictures one day. Panasonic failed on the support and suggested I contact their service centre, which would have involved sending the camera away for ages and something like $1000 just to look at it, as well as producing a receipt which I have lost.

Instead I went to Raymond's shop in Mong Kok. He gave it a precursory look, then said he'd need to hang on to it for a day to diagnose the problem. He wrote me a VERY comprehensive receipt for all the equipment (camera serial #, battery serial #, lens serial #), suggested I take back the memory card, and said he'd call me with an estimate. He called the very next day with a quote of $600. I approved this and he told me it would be ready for collection the day after that.

I've just picked it up - there was something wrong with the shutter mechanism, which they fixed. It works a treat, and he also fixed the eyepiece cup for free. He told me his warranty is three months.

Handiest MTR is Yau Ma Tei, exit A2, then walk two blocks up Nathan Road, turn right into Dundas St, then the first left into Sai Yeung Choi St. Pakpolee Commercial Centre is the second major building on the left, with a doorway embedded in between lots of mobile phone shops.

There was an enormous queue to get into the lifts in the building so I walked up the stairs, all 22 flights, and arrived panting and sweating which Raymond and his colleagues found quite amusing.

Anyway, he is an absolute find: an honest, friendly expert who does good work for a reasonable price. Couldn't be happier.

Apjace likes this.

My Panasonic DMC Z7 camera's flash light was not working. I called Panasonic's Service Center and was told they charge $300 initial fee plus whatever else for parts, and will take at least 10 business days. I then called Raymond Yuen; he gave me a quote of $400 and repair could be completed in 2 hours.

Based on everyone's recommendation, I took it to Raymond ( the location was quite convenient by MTR); the camera was repaired in 1 hour, and the cost was $400 as quoted.

I highly recommend this place for repair. By the way, they also fix computers and iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by robinyuen
    ...HI-SPEED ELECTRICAL COMPANY in Mongkok. You can call Raymond. The phone No. is 9495 4694. Address is in Rm 2210 Pak Po Lee Com Ctr, 1A Sai Yeung Choi St. South, Mongkok....
    I would like to correct the address:
    Rm 2209 (not 2210) Pak Po Lee Comm. Ctre.
    1A Sai Yeung Choi St. South, Mongkok.
    He opens daily from 11h - 20h.
    Phone: 2332 9115
    Mobile: 9495 4694
    email: yuen02(at)gmail.com

Went there last Sunday to find 2210 closed, just 2209 open. Surely I realized that 2209 was a repair shop, but went back home as I thought it might be another one. Came back yesterday to find out I wasted a trip.

Thumbs up for Raymond though.

I also want to give credit for HI-SPEED ELECTRICAL COMPANY .. good service , repair fast, you can even ask for discount. had my friend's camera and digicam fixed has already passed 4-5months and its still working fine.

Last edited by deathscytheh; 06-11-2012 at 03:53 PM.

My old Canon IXUS had a cracked LCD screen, I gave it to one of those repair shop in the Sincere House in Mongkok, 1 week and HK$200 later everything was fine again.

At that time the camera was already quite old, I doubt I would give a really expensive cam to one of those little shops.

Anyone have any updates on any new location or suggest a similar service?

Hi-Speed Electrical is definintely NOT closed! Just went there last week!

And to throw my voice into the mix, I whole-heartedly recommend it. Raymond charged me $350 to repair my camera, while the competition was asking $1150, MINIMUM.

More detailed review, plus pictures, at my blog if you're interested.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast