Sick of your iPod - there is hope!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sparing all the technical terms there are two very big flaws with the ipod IMHO:

1) No continous playback of tracks possible: so if for example you are listening to a live album, or a long classical pieces which is seperated in different tracks, the ipod will still insert a 2 second pause between the two tracks, while you original disc played them without any gaps.
    (does rockbox solve this? I know other players have no problem with this)
    2)As mentioned before Itunes lets you put songs on an ipod in a very untransparent manner, and you copy songs from you ipod to yout pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts
    Sparing all the technical terms there are two very big flaws with the ipod IMHO:

1) No continous playback of tracks possible: so if for example you are listening to a live album, or a long classical pieces which is seperated in different tracks, the ipod will still insert a 2 second pause between the two tracks, while you original disc played them without any gaps.
    (does rockbox solve this? I know other players have no problem with this)
    2)As mentioned before Itunes lets you put songs on an ipod in a very untransparent manner, and you copy songs from you ipod to yout pc.
    The latest version of iTunes has Gapless Playback- it works on older iPods.
    You can copy your songs from your iPod onto your hard drive. The reason Itunes protects songs which are bought via iTunes is to protect the rights of the artist.

Interesting also to note the FLAC format is not native in all firmware versions for the iaudio and needs the same Rockbox converter as the iPod does. The Zune and the Zen and the like will not support FLAC.

lamarite,
    Yes, it is simple, plug in the device, install the software, then it did not have enough juice to power the iPod or recharge it fully. Not sure how I can complicate things here. After I uninstall it and run another iPod manager it works fine.

sales figures speak for themselves, mac donalds sales large number of burgers, that does not make them good. Also microsoft sells more OS's than anyone else.

"i"something, was around way before apple came out with the iMac. There was plenty of companies and services adding the "i" of Internet to their names. In fact didn't Cisco sue Apple for "iPhone". In the case of "iAudio" you could argue that they are trying to place themselves in the same market.

Gatts, yes i've just tested it and it has gapless play, it also has a cross fader. Start and stopping it has a smooth ramping of sound. You can configure all this stuff to your hearts content.

As for uploading files, just copy them into a directory of your liking.

Last edited by hk.com; 08-05-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    lamarite,
    Yes, it is simple, plug in the device, install the software, then it did not have enough juice to power the iPod or recharge it fully. Not sure how I can complicate things here. After I uninstall it and run another iPod manager it works fine.
    I'm not sure what you're referring to here- what software are you installing to what?
    I think we may have crossed wires here (no pun intended).

All I have to say is that not knowing much about the music entryption or file formats, I was able to take my IPod right out fo the box, hook it up to my PC, transfer my stored MP3s and hundreds of CDs (most of them which were already stored on my PC in Windows Media Player, as WMVs I assume). And load them onto the player. Also, the gapless playback works fine for me on live albums without a pause.

Prior to my Ipod, I had a Sony Viao Pocket 40GB player which was extremely bulky (not good for working out), and stored all files in the Sony's format (APAC), which made it difficult to use anywhere else.

As far as ease of use of Ipods......judging from the sales numbers and personally seeing people use it who I wouldn't trust to operate a pencil sharpener...speaks for that fact.

I started with iTUNES which as pointed out didn't work. I downloaded anapod and it work fine. Anapod is not bad. it can convert ogg files to aac, but it is a hassle to set up.
    With rockany i no longer need to use any programs to upload files to the ipod.

the problems you are speaking about are far and few among the users....as mentioned previously...iPods are designed to work out of the box for the average consumer (over 100 million people seems a good average to peak of)

i dont think the marketing is the only thng driving the sales of ipods, as they have been here for a long time, and have been #1 since the begining. they work to play your average music files. when you search music stores online, they all sell in mp3, when you download songs of of BT, most are mp3....thats the common format

cisco sued apple very recently because cisco made a shite phone and to up sales called it an iphone. apple was already in works on their version of the iphone...and decided not to change the name when they released it.....cisco cried

i"something" in its use today stemmed from apple unless i am missing something

it really just sounds like either you had a bad egg of itunes, or you just are putting shame to your degree and dont know how to use itunes. many of the problems you list have been resolved - gapless playback, copying from ipod to computer, better battery life, organizing songs by artist and album, easy 2-way syncing with itunes, pc and mac, most common music formats

not sure what you are expecting in a slim, stylish, affordable, decent quality mp3 player

btw...while the iaudio is not the ugliest thing in the world

http://www.cowonglobal.com/

it still is bukier and personally i dont fnd it an attractive design, nor do i like the diagonal scroll bar.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    I started with iTUNES which as pointed out didn't work. I downloaded anapod and it work fine. Anapod is not bad. it can convert ogg files to aac, but it is a hassle to set up.
    With rockany i no longer need to use any programs to upload files to the ipod.
    Where are your files originating from that they are in OGG? If you are burning your cd's or buying from an online shop they will be in the format best suited for your iPod. Like Matt said, pretty much all BT files are mp3.

We should also point out that Cisco unsuccessfully threatened to sue Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by mattstewart
    btw...while the iaudio is not the ugliest thing in the world

http://www.cowonglobal.com/

it still is bukier and personally i dont fnd it an attractive design, nor do i like the diagonal scroll bar.
    I tried a very small one, that other than the screen size and $/GB ratio pissed on my ipod video on all senses, the UI, the features, joystick. The sound quality gave me shivers down my back, it was great.

The iPod microswitches under the wheel at totally un responsive and you don't know when you have pressed. I am sure the select button is going to go soon.

I don't exactly hang out with the iPod crowd, but someone just this last weekend asked me if I could load lots of music onto one. They had bought one in HK, sent it overseas and then they could not upload anything to it. Obviously I refused.

People don't know crap about what they are buying, they buy the brand "do the safe thing" and then go for the best $/GB ratio.

Some of the stuff I want does come in OGG format on BT. Half of my CD collection is on OGG format. As you can see on this thread alone (Mr Moo) other people do use other formats. You guys are telling me how conveninet the iPod is, surely I should be able to just upload and listen to what ever I want without having to convert or do anything else.

The current iPods are still very mediocre products that obviously satisfy the masses.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast