Sick of your iPod - there is hope!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

i might add that I know a few people reminding me "what a piece of shit the ipod is" every time they see mine. So I guess that makes me a commited fan - iGroupie

again...you list the ipod as mediocre....but its obviously more than that if its selling more than any other device...and why is ipod haters never "buy it themselves" and always "receive as gift"

i have never seen an "un-responsive" scroll wheel and not sure as to why they would remove the select button....it all serves for a very easy and convenient user friendly interface.

the UI is very simple, and well layed out, but sure there can be improvements to any design to fit one persons needs i suppose

i'm not sure why your friend is having trouble uploading stuff to an ipod bought from overseas, as there is no country locking on it. the only restriction ipods have (and most mp3 players) is ones put in place by RIAA as already mentioned. even with that, apple has gone thru great lengths to satisfy both parties by allowing you to transfer from ipod to PC to up to 5 registered computers.....which is pretty fare for legal uses

your CD collection you converted to OGG, instead of mp3...so thats your choice. again...most consumers are happy with the formats ipod plays, and are not sticklers for one format that is used much less comparatively

all in all...it sounds like you are just looking for an ogg player, not an mp3 player (ipod), and are looking for greater customization then the average user. i wish you the best of luck on your searches

and give our regards to your friends who also complain....as they always say...like minded people flock together...or something like that

I have an iPod that is an MP3, OGG, Flac player despite the sound quality it now does pretty much what I want it to. Battery duration under rockbox is not great.

Last edited by hk.com; 09-05-2007 at 01:17 PM.

but why not just sell your ipod and get a new iaudio or some other "far superior" device?

Quote Originally Posted by mattstewart:
    but why not just sell your ipod and get a new iaudio or some other "far superior" device?
    because that costs, time and also the iPod depreciation and buying price would not even cover half of the kind of player I want. For me going out and buying such a device is a luxury for me. I really most have done great things to reward myself with something like that.

If I was not given the iPod I would not have an MP3 player and would be listening to music on my Nokia 6600 (mono).

Why don't just accept that people may not agree or like the products that you like or may have totally different experiences as you. I accept that ipod is a huge success and for most people it is great but my experience is different. My requirements are different and I've found a way to overcome many of the restrictions on the the iPod has, I am sharing that here.

The thread title is for people that are sick of their iPod+iTunes, if you are happy with it, stick with it as is, enjoy it.

just trying to help you thru your troubles with the device...cause as mentioned before many of the problems seem to be misunderstandings

btw.....why would one have such a strong preference for ogg rather than mp3, being that mp3 is more widely available?

j
    btw.....why would one have such a strong preference for ogg rather than mp3, being that mp3 is more widely available?
    probably stupidity. I started to rip CD after CD thinking OGG was a losses encoding method and then I decided to find out more about it, whilst it is better than MP3, it not amazingly better. Also some of the DJ's i like only release OGG files or have switched from MP3 to OGG.

j
    probably stupidity. I started to rip CD after CD thinking OGG was a losses encoding method and then I decided to find out more about it, whilst it is better than MP3, it not amazingly better. It certainly is not loss less. Some of the DJ's i like have switched from MP3 to OGG. or only release OGG files. By using OGG, you are helping hardware manufacturers to keep cost of hardware lower as they all have to pay royalties for supporting MP3.

I am going to test FLAC files to see if cpu indeed runs at 30Mhz to save some juice, it would be cool if the battery lasts longer and gives better perfect audio quality. Flac files are bigger but storage I have plenty spare.

I see the MP3's and OGG make the CPU run at 75Mhz there is some boost counter which you can adjust. If you set it too low slows the cpu down 30Mhz and stops playing. There is a pile of thiings you can adjust, like the mA of the batteries it must be for incase you have upgraded to heavy duty ones and need them charged properly. etc...

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    2. Maybe its just me, but I would guess that myself and about other 95% of the population have no freaking idea what these abbreviations are:

OGG? Flac? Floola? Anapod? ID3? AAC? Foobar 2000? Zune? RIAA?

Wow....listen guys, most of us (consumers) just buy the product to listen to the music occasionally that's all. Preferrably being able to download songs onto the player without having a Masters degree from MIT.
    That's everyone's goal but we are hampered by politics, legalities, or technical limitations. MP3 requires a license to use and so raises the price of everything, hence other formats. Unlucky audiophiles can hear the artefacts introduced by lossy compression, others are simply fed up with the multitude of formats and just want one (FLAC) which can be converted to others if really needed without losing any quality.

Foobar 2000 is one of the only music players on Windows that supports Unicode, and hence show you the track titles in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc (both iTunes and Windows Media Player have issues). It sounds simple: give a song a name, album, artist, etc. However it got rather messed up and multiple incompatible methods of tagging got produced (ID3) with none explicitly declaring the language encoding.

The others you can look up in Wikipedia.

Movies and videos are far more depressing to deal with, from the MPAA to multitudes of technical aspects. Notice we still don't have HDTV in Hong Kong.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 09-05-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Mr Moo what FLAC ripper do you recommend?