Sick of your iPod - there is hope!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

not wanting to start a war, but I've uploaded an MP3 to the iPod when running in Apple mode and done the same when in Rockbox mode.

I've tried everything but I can't make the Apple mode sound as good as the rockbox mode.

Mind you I am discovering more bugs on rockbox, it won't recharge unless you connect in USB drive mode. If you connect just to charge it half charges and then discharges and then charges again. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    Mr Moo what FLAC ripper do you recommend?
    EAC + FLAC Frontend. Could certainly be easier though.

Yeah, Rockbox does have bugs, but it is definitely better than Itunes. I for one side with you hk.com, but I'm somewhat of a fanatic when it comes to my music collection. IMO VBR encoded MP3 can sound as good as CD, although most MP3s available are encoded at a constant bitrate of 192 kbps, which is extremely wasteful and leads to artifacts. OGG and FLAC are better for those who can really hear the difference, but you're often limited by hardware and the headphones you're using, as well as your age (your ability to hear frequencies at both ends of the continuum drops off with age).

I'm waiting for Rockbox users to crack the Ipod Classic. At present, I use a Creative Zen Xtra. It sounds better than the Ipod, although it isn't as pretty. What I do like about it is no file encryption, it can store data files, the 140 gb capacity (max the firmware allows me to use) and the fact that I can change batteries myself (I have two). I wish someone would write firmware for it that would allow more than 16,000 audio files, but that's not going to happen. The Ipod Classic 160 w/ Rockbox would be amazing, but not for the average consumers (sheep) that comprise the majority of Ipod users. A Linux based OS on an Ipod would definitely be considered excessively complicated by most, but for those of us who have specialized needs (wants?), Itunes is excessively restrictive and the loss of sound quality standard Ipod firmware causes is a major negative.

OK, I'm a little obsessive and I don't have much of a life. :P

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 12-09-2007 at 11:36 PM.

My guess is that the file system geometry of the Zen has been configured that way and for a reason. It would require to format the drive using different parameters. The limit can be broken but I doubt that the guys at Rockbox will do something like that in case it break compatibility with the original Zen software.

One page to watch is this: http://www.rockbox.org/recent.shtml
    where you can watch the improvements to your particular version and decide when you can upgrade. They are updating is so frequently now that is nuts, the 3 days of history is too short. The page use to show 4 weeks of changes before. On that page you can also find out the developers who are working on the zen and maybe worth while asking them about 16000 file limit.

The sound of rockbox is truly great, but be careful to listen to it in noisy places and cranking up the volume, I am sure you can hurt your ear drums with it.

In view you like good sound, my next tip for your PC is, go and install OSS 3D. It is a DSP package that works as a plug in on WinAmp, Windows Media. The audio purists, say that should not process the music etc, you should listen to it how it was originally recorded and piped through the best amp and speakers your can afford and have a room of optimal size etc. For the rest of us, using a DSPs are the solution.

Normally you have a sound source, then you modify by adjusting trebless and bass or fiddle with a graphic equalizer. With OSS 3D you work backwards from the speakers, you can calibrate the sound capabilities of your speakers and feed them the optimal requencies they can reproduce best. It can also correct problem of living in small apartments.

The end result is that you get amazing sound at of crappy speakers or head phones. It takes hours to set up though.

Sounds good. I've always avoided DSP for the reasons you outlined (used to have a great system in New York), but I'll give it a shot and see what kind of difference it makes with the crappy setup I have in my bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Sounds good. I've always avoided DSP for the reasons you outlined (used to have a great system in New York), but I'll give it a shot and see what kind of difference it makes with the crappy setup I have in my bedroom.
    I am in the same situation. I got given a subwoofer and tweeter setup for a PC a few years back. Blaze, the tweeters without using a graphic equalizer will make your ears bleed, the subwoofer is very powerful and has massive magnet compared to anything of the same size in the market today. Without OSS it is not enjoyable to listen to.

It takes time to tweak, one or two hours at least.

Don't forget that Apple have just started revising their IPOD range with their new Wi Fi equipped I-Touch ipod, basically an iphone without the phone installed.

Available in 8 and 16GB, should be appearing in HK retailers right about now.

Its available online > http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebOb...e-AA0000018616

I don't know about you guys, but I want one, bad

Last edited by Skyhook; 13-09-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Even the revise is still not going to match the old iPods with Rockbox because for legal reason the original Ipod firmware has it has peak filtering built into it so does not leave you deaf.

BTW do you work for Apples, PR or Advertising firm?

hk.com, whatever blows your hair back son. I never even acknowledged your topic of discussion in the first instance, nor did I imply anything more, than the fact that, the fully touch screen GUI IPOD-Touch, will be available in stores right about now.

This is where I got the original info from btw http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-11869,00.html

And for all your scathing criticism of the Ipod, why does Apple hold 70% of the personal music device market globally ?

Thats pretty amazing even for extremely clever marketing..

In my opinion, what Apple have achieved with the Ipod, Sony did with the invention of the Walkman, and like Sony, who dominated the market against its peers in the early 80's, Apple have maintained a tech savvy educated following today. Well done Steve Jobs !

Last edited by Skyhook; 13-09-2007 at 06:57 PM.

The Ipod's a hot seller because of the 'cool' factor and its appearance. The BEST (in terms of functionality and quality) technological products are seldom the best sellers. While the Itouch is definitely cool, it just doesn't have the capacity I'm looking for. I'm all about the music, so even if the Itouch LOOKS cool, I prefer something that SOUNDS good and holds LOTS of music. If the ITouch didn't operate on ITunes and had at least 160 GB without peak filtering and Apple's RIAA friendly directory structure and file transfer limitations, I'd buy one right now.

The folks over at Rockbox.org have discovered the printed circuit boards in the new Classics have chips with Apple logos on them. Apple have used encryption on their new players. Not only that, the chips are blackened with markers prior to shipment to prevent people trying to develop their own firmware. A Rockbox port for the 160 Classic looks extremely unlikely at this point. =/

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 13-09-2007 at 08:58 PM.