Sick of your iPod - there is hope!

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Obviously yes, if you use Rockbox... Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware

The new version is very polished on my iPod video. Improved interface, skins, installation, and battery life.

In case anyone missed it, the sound using rockbox is amazing compared to using the ipod default software.

Thanks hk.com- I'm going to try this on mine as soon as I get home.
    I was waiting for you to remind me of what it was called.

Obviously yes, if you use Rockbox... Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware
    Are you sure?

Information on the Rockbox site is contrary to that.

Stoob, for a long time on my iPod video I've download .AVI files and they work fine. I believe that those are Divx files as I got them of torrent sites. Maybe I am wrong.

The only thing that right now it is not using the video hardware accelerator (low power) the iPod video has and it uses the main cpu to do the decoding, which means it wastes battery.

Lammarite, to do the install easier use this the new utility they have. Doing it manually can be a hassle.

RockboxUtility < Main < TWiki

Also downloading the build for your player maybe slow at so be patient.

Just a reminder to all, Rockbox removes all sound filtering, which means you get totally clear and unadulterated sound out of the player including the very high frequencies. Don't turn up the volume if you are in a noisy place or you could get a tingling feeling in your ear drums and with time leave yourself deaf.

Last edited by hk.com; 21-05-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks HK

I think most AVI files sourced via torrent are divx/xvid so this could be good news, if you find out for sure please let us know.

I think I'll try on my old Gen 2 model first to get a feel for the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    Stoob, for a long time on my iPod video I've download .AVI files and they work fine. I believe that those are Divx files as I got them of torrent sites. Maybe I am wrong.

The only thing that right now it is not using the video hardware accelerator (low power) the iPod video has and it uses the main cpu to do the decoding, which means it wastes battery.

Lammarite, to do the install easier use this the new utility they have. Doing it manually can be a hassle.

RockboxUtility < Main < TWiki

Also downloading the build for your player maybe slow at so be patient.

Just a reminder to all, Rockbox removes all sound filtering, which means you get totally clear and unadulterated sound out of the player including the very high frequencies. Don't turn up the volume if you are in a noisy place or you could get a tingling feeling in your ear drums and with time leave yourself deaf.
    That ringing sound is known as tinnitus, and yes, it can lead to permanent hearing damage.

I want to get a 32GB iPod Touch but $4000 is way too much right now. With Wi-Fi being more freely available in HK, iPod Touch would be great.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6