Low-cost phone calls overseas

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thanks for your replies.
    I'll try both - 1529 & 1643 and then choose the best option.
    And what mobile operators do you use in HK? I guess it's not China Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by FunkoPlan:
    Thanks for your replies.
    I use 3-mobile because they were offering the BEST sign on package when I was looking. I would not say that 3-mobile is the best of worse.

I know others who like smartone.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkoPlan:
    Thanks for your replies.
    Smartone....

i have bought a PCCW Hello card;
    for 50HKD i phoned 4minutes to france !!!!
    dont use it

I find that rather hard to believe... I guess it was a French mobile not a fixed line (calling to mobile is much more expensive than to fixed for many countries).

But anyway, 1529 gives you HK$0.28/min to a French fixed line and HK$1.88/min to a French mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    But anyway, 1529 gives you HK$0.28/min to a French fixed line and HK$1.88/min to a French mobile.
    I know every one says it sucks, but SkypeOut is still cheaper, at HK$0.17/min to France!

1529 to the USA and China is working well! I have been using it for the past two days. All the connections are clear and I am able to get a connection without waiting.

The only feature that I do not care for or lack of a feature is - unlike the 1643 calling card I was previoulsy using the 1529 service does not tell me how many minutes I can talk for with the remaining value of my card after the number has been dailed and before the connection is made.

One problem with some of the calling card/direct connect IDD services is the lack of full-duplex during calls. You will notice this when you try to talk over the other end's voice and not be heard. Try it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    The only feature that I do not care for or lack of a feature is - unlike the 1643 calling card I was previoulsy using the 1529 service does not tell me how many minutes I can talk for with the remaining value of my card after the number has been dailed and before the connection is made.
    I'm confused by this comment - 1529 is not a calling card service. You go to the website, you sign up with your credit card, you use what you want to use, and once a month you get billed to your credit card for what you have used. The concept of "remaining value" doesn't apply, although I suspect there is some sort of credit limit which stops you making tens of thousands of dollars of calls before your card is billed.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I'm confused by this comment - 1529 is not a calling card service. You go to the website, you sign up with your credit card, you use what you want to use, and once a month you get billed to your credit card for what you have used. The concept of "remaining value" doesn't apply, although I suspect there is some sort of credit limit which stops you making tens of thousands of dollars of calls before your card is billed.
    PDLM, I understand that 1529 is not a cc service. I was simply drawing a comparsion on one of the differences from using the 1643 cc vs. 1529 services.

1643 cc allows an the consumer an immediate way to monitor their "want to use" by telling them the amount of minutes their remaining value will allow them to use.

1529 service allows the consumer the ability to talk unlimited but this way may require the consumer who is more conscientious on cost to take the initiative and responsibilty to monitor their "want to use" by looking at their on line account to monitor their use/cost.