Netvigator randomly disconnecting

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

steady stream, the key ?

Plastic... you've made me think about when I have had problems or success... and I think that I might be in the same, unexplainable, boat.

Whenever I'm dabbling on email or small stuff, the connection is sporadic and frustratingly unresponsive - not all the time, but too often not to notice. But, when I watch my Slingbox (based at my friend's house in the US), its constant streaming (live or recorded TV) seems to steady everything. I remember thinking if the steady stream would slow things down - eg. take up the bandwidth - but have had no issue with too much being downloaded and it actually makes it better for surfing etc....

my connection's been stable since manually refreshing to an ip starting with 2 digits (5x). if i used the three digit ip starting with 2xx i get all the problems most of you are experiencing. i believe that they release a different ip with a different network MAC address.

i had to clone my network card MAC address on the router in order to get it to use the two digit ip. if you use a wrt54g btw, don't. especially if you have many open connections. I got a bufallo router and haven't looked back.

the only thing i can really think of is getting a new router and releasing a new ip address. if the line is defunct then unfortunately nothing you can do but move out

NOW.Netvigator unstable at night

Am interested to know if the people on this thread have finally resolved their issues...

Since the weekend my line becomes unstable from about 7.30 till 11 or 12pm. This is probably peak usage time in my area so I am worrying about contention rates for my building/area. Do Now/Netvigator give that information out?

For the rest of the day my connection is fine, this cannot be a coincidence. Do you agree?

HDTV yeah right..not if they can't even guarantee a low res highly pixelated service.

I signed up for 8MB in Park Island but service won't start till end of the month. Now kinda worried. Does anyone have netvigator service at PI who can share his/her experience?

IME Instability is to do with crosstalk problems on the building wiring - for meerkat what probably happened is that someone new got connected to Netvigator over the weekend using a wire that is adjacent to meerkat's and when they are running the service in the evening the crosstalk between the two wires is causing interference and the connection to drop. There's not much you can do about it apart from keep getting PCCW out in the evening and swapping wiring around to see if they can find a pair that doesn't suffer from interference.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    IME Instability is to do with crosstalk problems on the building wiring - for meerkat what probably happened is that someone new got connected to Netvigator over the weekend using a wire that is adjacent to meerkat's and when they are running the service in the evening the crosstalk between the two wires is causing interference and the connection to drop. There's not much you can do about it apart from keep getting PCCW out in the evening and swapping wiring around to see if they can find a pair that doesn't suffer from interference.

Omigod.. this sounds like the beginning of a long road.. thanks for the insight PDLM. If I use the word crosstalk will the child that comes out to fix it know what I am talking about?

Perhaps. But the problem is that if it is, say, your neighbour, then there may be no alternative pairs or wire available.... It really depends where the problem is.

And, of course, that might not be the problem at all.

...well the young guy turned up last night and gave me a new modem Dareglobal DB181 the DB180E has been causing all sorts of problems apparently.

After me warbling on about this crosstalk issue he made some changes and luckily last night broadband and tv had no problems. Of course my neighbour could have been out on the lash last night.

Anyway fingers crossed...

By the way did you know the PCCW guys have to provide their own laptop and tools to do this job. How harsh is that??

Unhappy Sailing under false colors!

"By the way did you know the PCCW guys have to provide their own laptop and tools to do this job. How harsh is that??"

Well, despite being "badged" as PCCW employees - they ain't !

They are Sub-contractors - a completely different organisation who got the job to fix Spamvigator / NOW-TV problems.

Thumbs up www.pingeasy.com <--< the way to go.....

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat:
    Am interested to know if the people on this thread have finally resolved their issues...

Since the weekend my line becomes unstable from about 7.30 till 11 or 12pm. This is probably peak usage time in my area so I am worrying about contention rates for my building/area. Do Now/Netvigator give that information out?

For the rest of the day my connection is fine, this cannot be a coincidence. Do you agree?

HDTV yeah right..not if they can't even guarantee a low res highly pixelated service.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Well - after a lot of "hard-knuckle" messages to "Spamvigator" & talks with their Techs at PCCW, they dispatched a contractor's tech who brought with him a **brand new** ADSL modem - the type that is issued to those who subscribe to NOW-TV + Internet.

This model = EX7822r+ seems to have a better "hold" on the line; but it's only been in use for 4 days, so it is "early days" yet.

However, I Googled & found www.pingeasy.com had a program which automatically pings till you stop it.

I found that I was still occasionally losing ping returns when pinged at 1 second intervals - something like 0.09% failure on 33,000 pings.

The program is infinitely (well almost) variable - I wished that I'd sought it out before. <Wry smile>.

Ooops! I now see a failure rate of 4.8% on 240 pings at 32bytes of send buffer size.

Unfortunately, I'm not au faite with exactly what I'm seeing since with 64 byte size and pings every 0.1 secs, I sometimes see very looooong ping times - like 737ms whereas the quickest return is a mere 17ms.

Perhaps Maren can offer an explanation?