Like Tree4Likes

China gov installed eavesdropping device in duo license plate hk cars!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

China gov installed eavesdropping device in duo license plate hk cars!

Just finished reading the report below from Apple Daily (Chi ver).
    http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/templa...rt_id=15332482

According to the above Apple Daily report, China Government installed eavesdropping device in duo license plate Hong Kong cars. The eavesdropping device is hidden in the border crossing electronic device, the report also mentioned the effect range of the device is 20KM.

If you find yourself inside a duo license plate car, be careful what comes out of your mouth. Big brother is listening

I thought the Daily Apple was a spoof news site?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    No it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    No. Reporting news that the PRC government doesn't necessarily want you to know does not make the information 'spoof' news, actually, doing so is called 'reporting'. Many media outlets in the West actually do that, whereas Xinhua and the so-called 'news agencies' in the PRC will only tell tales that support the glorious CCP in all its wonderful perfection and all-knowing wisdom. That is actually the function of a PR agency, not a news organization.
    Gatts and Dreadnought like this.

Apple Daily is one of the main newspapers in HK.

It doesnt look like an eavesdropping device one bit. There is no mic or even mini mic on the board or IC's. Furthermore for something that small to work in picking up and transmitting signals/voices, it would have to either run on a GSM/GPRS/CDMA or a hybrid terrestrial GPS network.

20KM on a simple radio would mean that the commies would of had to install terrestrial radio networks all around the SZ area.

Perhaps in the future they would upgrade it to include GSM capabilities, but from the look of the board and chips, it is not a listening device.

Meh, lame news. Im surprised it didnt come from the onion.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    20KM on a simple radio would mean that the commies would of had to install terrestrial radio networks all around the SZ area.

Perhaps in the future they would upgrade it to include GSM capabilities, but from the look of the board and chips, it is not a listening device.
    Guessing a bit it is probably simply meant to be a back up device to track border crossings a la electronic passports. Not necessarily a bad idea, probably, and may be useful in tracking car thieves and the like. However, it does provide a great example of the ham-handedness of the PRC goons that something that is not necessarily nefarious, when veiled in secrecy and lies, ends up looking ominous. Not surprising that people think the worst.

I hit the paywall when I click on the link (it's in Chinese, but I guess that is what it is).

If I'd be the the designer of such a device and I'd need to keep it small and simple (and power consumption down), I'd not integrate GSM, I'd just transmit the data (recording) when the car crosses the border. Now we know why it takes ages to cross to border, even in a private car

Last edited by 100LL; 12-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.

It doesnt look like an eavesdropping device one bit. There is no mic or even mini mic on the board or IC's. Furthermore for something that small to work in picking up and transmitting signals/voices, it would have to either run on a GSM/GPRS/CDMA or a hybrid terrestrial GPS network.

Meh, lame news. Im surprised it didnt come from the onion.
    Agreed. There's no way something that tiny is going to transmit over 20km. And unless it has an external power source in addition to the internal battery, it's not going to be able to transmit for any meaningful length of time before dying. A Li-ion pack of that size is going to last less than five hours if it's continuously broadcasting.

Unfortunately, I can't read the article or follow the 'news' story, but what the OP claims sounds completely way off the realms of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Apple Daily is one of the main newspapers in HK.
    It's also the main tabloid.

How can you say for sure since some of the components are blurred out in the video? Furtheremore one PCB sits on top of the other, so we can't see what components are on the one below.

That being said the blurred out part (silverish block) looks like an RF shield that protects the electronic components below from affects of the radio signal, nothing unusual.

Which would not be a problem.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast