Like Tree1Likes

Now TV picture quality???

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I would be willing to pay a one time fee to get HDTV to my building yes. But since i'm the only expat in my building, im sure the locals wouldn't be too keen on splitting the tab.

Ever since I bought my new Sony HDTV, NowTV has looked appauling, and it's only a 32 inch TV! If I sit back about 12 feet it looks how it should from 5 feet. Certain channels are worse than others, most noticeable are the terrible movie channels.

If you can, set the sharpness very low, and use your tv/dvd upscaling or noise reduction technology, it sometimes helps.

I am glad to say that my contract is expiring and I can cancel this worthless signal. Bittorent is the way to go, and you'd be surprised how much of it is legal these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon.E.Kong
    Ever since I bought my new Sony HDTV, NowTV has looked appauling, and it's only a 32 inch TV! If I sit back about 12 feet it looks how it should from 5 feet. Certain channels are worse than others, most noticeable are the terrible movie channels.

If you can, set the sharpness very low, and use your tv/dvd upscaling or noise reduction technology, it sometimes helps.

I am glad to say that my contract is expiring and I can cancel this worthless signal. Bittorent is the way to go, and you'd be surprised how much of it is legal these days.
    I have a 52 inch Sharp Aquos and the picture is unwatchable. I am going to phone them up tomorrow and complain, and see if they will cancel the contract I have taken out.

This is worse than the picture quality I used to see 20 years ago in the UK... and coming from Japan where they stream proper hi def content with modern compression that isn't noticeable to the viewer this is like going back to the Dark Ages.

I will be relying on downloading/watching through my media box if Now TV can't be made any better.

Very little of the NOW content is HD - surely you were aware of that before taking out the service? (since it has a few specifically HD channels)

Japan has fibre to at least the basement. Depending on where you are, your signal could be running over a kilometre or two of old twisted pair copper.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the service in Japan?

I'm actually a bit surprised that HK offers such poor internet services, and in the 7 years i lived here i can't recall any improvement in connection, speed, cost worth mentioning.

I do however remember getting ripped of by PCCW/Netvigator for that moov shit they subscribed me to without me knowing, and since i didn't cancel the service i never subscribed to i had to pay for the cancellation period of 3 month or something like that.

Now take the Baltic's for example, not the wealthiest countries, still they got fiber all over the place at dirt cheap prices due to the relative small land areas they have to connect.

I see no reason why HK could not match them, seeing as how HK is much more wealthy, has the needed know how to plan and execute it.
    Fiber itself don't cost that much, the major cost is in labor.

And i assume that in HK they have some form of cable tunnels in the ground already so even labor shouldn't amount to anything that will break the economy of PCCW, and probably they already have a load of dark fiber they could expand on.

But why would they? when they can get people to pay HK$XXX for a 8mb pipe with a bigass bottleneck attached to it :P

My connection in Japan was free, and then you could pay for additional channels on top if you like. It had about 20 or 20 free channels which were more than enough for me, given I rarely watched TV.

My building in Hong Kong has fibre to the building, it is a modern property only a few years old. The internet is a 30meg connection

I don't much about having fewer HD channels - I was aware of that - but the compression on standard channels makes them looks horrible. If I was watching on a CRT or small LCD I guess it would be fine but on a decent size TV it really shows up how viciously the compression has decimated the picture quality.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE
    I'm actually a bit surprised that HK offers such poor internet services, and in the 7 years i lived here i can't recall any improvement in connection, speed, cost worth mentioning.
    For sure there has been some improvement, don't you see all the ads for 18, 30 or even 100MB connections? Also prices are more competitive nowadays than a few years back. In fact you can get a 30M connection now for the same that I am paying for a 18M line, and I only signed up less than 18 months ago.

But why would they? when they can get people to pay HK$XXX for a 8mb pipe with a bigass bottleneck attached to it :P
    Again, there are lot's of places where you can get 18, 30 or 100MB connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon
    For sure there has been some improvement, don't you see all the ads for 18, 30 or even 100MB connections? Also prices are more competitive nowadays than a few years back. In fact you can get a 30M connection now for the same that I am paying for a 18M line, and I only signed up less than 18 months ago.

NTT Flets service in Japan offers 1 Gb/s to the block, provided you have at least 6 people signing up to the service. Within that 1Gb/s each subscriber can use 100Mb/s.

Using this connection, I could download faster than my hard disk drive could write - 5 or 6 downloads each at 2 MBps (megabytes, not megabits).

Hong Kong is way behind in this respect, despite being a lot more densely populated than Tokyo.

Whats more, the internet was free in my building - just plugged in the Ethernet cable as it was always connected - no username or password or subscription to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon

Indeed, and that 18, 30, 100mb will get you about the same speed as that 6-8mb they pushed years ago.
    Not to mention that they bottleneck all connections that are not within HK DMZ.
    DSL 30m is only good within a certain range of the base station anyways and speed degrades fast once you are out of the high performance area.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE
    Indeed, and that 18, 30, 100mb will get you about the same speed as that 6-8mb they pushed years ago.
    Really!? To get 14M down a 6-8M pipe is very impressive. I guess we misunderstood and you are actually arguing for PCCW since they were offering more than what you paid for.

Bottom left corner, 14.5M while downloading two trailers simultaneously from a site outside of HK (Movie Trailers - iTunes).

Not to mention that they bottleneck all connections that are not within HK DMZ.
    DSL 30m is only good within a certain range of the base station anyways and speed degrades fast once you are out of the high performance area.
    That the ISP cannot guarantee full speed at all times and when the data is subject to external conditions (server upload speed, congestion in the www etc.) is something most people do not understand. Instead it's so much easier to bitch about the ISP; I guess one should also complain about Ferrari etc. that you can't drive their cars at the maximum advertised speed on HK roads.
    Last edited by Raccon; 23-03-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast