Like Tree1Likes

Now TV picture quality???

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

It's not exactly a top secret that ISP's in HK bottle neck their connections outside the DMZ, a simple phone call to their support and you can confirm it.
    Or talk to any sales rep on the street, or just ask some one you trust in these matters here on Geoexpat.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE:
    It's not exactly a top secret that ISP's in HK bottle neck their connections outside the DMZ, a simple phone call to their support and you can confirm it.
    Explain why I get 14.5M on a 18M line. I provided proof, you just throw around unsubstantiated claims and then ask others to confirm it themselves. That's ridiculous.

Or talk to any sales rep on the street, or just ask some one you trust in these matters here on Geoexpat.
    You trust what a sales rep on the street tells you?

They dont deliberately "bottle neck" or throttle your speed. But there is simply a finite amount of bandwidth available in the undersea cables, sattelite, whatever. If you are logging on at a peak time, expect it to be slower than other times.

Quite naturally, if you are connecting to a HK server then it will be faster.

There is no conspiracy going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Explain why I get 14.5M on a 18M line. I provided proof, you just throw around unsubstantiated claims and then ask others to confirm it themselves. That's ridiculous.

You trust what a sales rep on the street tells you?
    I was getting 2MB/s last night and this morning, on my new 30Mb/s PCCW line. I used to get 5x that much data throughput back in my free connection in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    I was getting 2MB/s last night and this morning, on my new 30Mb/s PCCW line. I used to get 5x that much data throughput back in my free connection in Japan.
    Above you said you had a 1Gb / 100Mb per user connection, so you are comparing apples and oranges; maybe I am missing something here but 30Mb / 30 Megabit equals 3 MB / 3.75MegaByte, so how could you possibly think that you could get anywhere close to 10 MB (5x2)?
    Last edited by Raccon; 23-03-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Because his free connection in Japan was 100Mbit/s.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Because his free connection in Japan was 100Mbit/s.
    Yes, I noticed (see my previous post where I mentioned the same). The point is that Geoff implied his new 30Mb connection provides a poor performance by stating 2MB is slow compared to the 10MB he got in Japan, where he had that 100Mb connection. Thus it's not possible to directly compare the two and conclude that 2MB is poor, nor can you expect anywhere close to 10MB since the 30Mb lines maxes out at 3.75MB.

Furthermore, as it has been said before, the speed is subject to external factors and they may have been totally different then and now, which makes the comparison even more flawed. Perhaps tomorrow he downloads from another site and gets 3MB+, who knows.

I didn't expect to get that speed - just pointing out that Hong Kong is some way behind other developed nations... I believe Korea also has much faster internet than here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Furthermore, as it has been said before, the speed is subject to external factors and they may have been totally different then and now, which makes the comparison even more flawed. Perhaps tomorrow he downloads from another site and gets 3MB+, who knows.
    Well, I am using the same site (based in Europe - rapidshare.com) which I used for a couple of years in Japan and it consistently gives good download speeds.

Given I am using the same site now as I did in Japan, and I know it provides a consistent high quality bandwidth/server capacity it is easy to see the bandwidth of the PCCW pipe is the limiting factor, or the contention ratio in my building. Either way, it degrades the experience for the end user.

I'm not sure it's quite that simple. Rapidshare is quite cagey about its infrastructure, but it may well be that they have a node in Japan but not one in Hong Kong.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast