Like Tree1Likes

Now TV picture quality???

Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    I'm not sure it's quite that simple. Rapidshare is quite cagey about its infrastructure, but it may well be that they have a node in Japan but not one in Hong Kong.
    I know which RS servers I download from, they are based in Europe, not Japan! You get the option of a random server or you can specify which one you download from.

    It is that simple

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,221

    I guess you think that when you connect to google.com the server is in the US as well?


  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    I guess you think that when you connect to google.com the server is in the US as well?
    No, but I know the RS servers I download from are based in Europe. A simple trace route shows that. You are welcome to try and disprove it and show me the Japan based RS servers.

    Try picking on someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and you might have a chance of winning your argument rather than missing with your silly jibes.
    iflylow likes this.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tin Shui Wai
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Raccon
    Explain why I get 14.5M on a 18M line. I provided proof, you just throw around unsubstantiated claims and then ask others to confirm it themselves. That's ridiculous.


    You trust what a sales rep on the street tells you?

    You really take this personally don't you, if you get 14.5M on your 18M line then great.

    I'm just giving you various options to confirm what i have been told, by yourself,
    It's the information as it was given to me that's all and i heard it from various sources, so i haven't felt a need to doubt it myself, but i might just give them a call to confirm it.

    As for giving my views on HK internet infrastructure which is a joke for a world economy like Hong Kong, and I'm sure most will agree with me on that point.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE
    You really take this personally don't you, if you get 14.5M on your 18M line then great.
    I don't take it personally but normally the one that makes the claim should be the one to back it up; avoiding that and making up other things in return doesn't give your arguments much credibility. E.g. at first you claim there is no change in pricing and speed and when challenged you turn it into "Indeed, and that 18, 30, 100mb will get you about the same speed as that 6-8mb they pushed years ago.", yet my 18M connection is faster and so is Geoff's 30M.

    I'm just giving you various options to confirm what i have been told, by yourself, [...]
    Just because someone told you doesn't necessarily mean it's true, you should know that. My own test is confirmation enough that the claims cannot be true, so I am not going to waste my time on confirming your 'options'.

    It's the information as it was given to me that's all and i heard it from various sources, so i haven't felt a need to doubt it myself, but i might just give them a call to confirm it.
    You forgot the "I read it on the Internet so it must be true" argument.

    But do call your sources to confirm, though please also ask why some people do get high speeds even with all the bottlenecks and throttling applied.

    As for giving my views on HK internet infrastructure which is a joke for a world economy like Hong Kong, and I'm sure most will agree with me on that point.
    The grass is always greener on the other side, but I am happy with my connection. Maybe I am just lucky, dunno.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    No, but I know the RS servers I download from are based in Europe. A simple trace route shows that. You are welcome to try and disprove it and show me the Japan based RS servers.

    Try picking on someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and you might have a chance of winning your argument rather than missing with your silly jibes.
    I am picking on someone who doesn't know what they are talking about - you clearly have no clue how CDNs work. Obviously a traceroute/ping request is going to be handled completely differently to a content download request.

    Again I don't know what CDN Rapidshare has in place (if any) but it is perfectly plausible that they have a CDN node in Japan and not one in Hong Kong.

  7. #47
    bdw
    bdw is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,524

    A lot of data in Japan stays in Japan. ie Japanese users are accessing a lot of local Japanese content and are not that reliant on overseas connections.

    In contrast, I think HK is a bit more 'international' compared to Japan there are more people relying on the overseas connections.

    So when Geoff was in Japan, he had a larger share of the overseas bandwidth. Now he is in HK, there are a lot more people here accessing overseas servers for their information.


  8. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tin Shui Wai
    Posts
    660

    Raccon are you incapable to see rant for what it is?

    And i said about the same speed, and I'm fairly sure you know what I meant, but just wanted to bitch about it a bit so ok.

    And that 100M connection is usually split between all residents on one floor, so its not like you will get a dedicated 100M pipe to your flat, like it should be.

    As for price and the internet speed evolution i said "not worth mentioning" and again reflects my personal view.

    Obviously this failed to go through, selective reading is bless something don't you think Raccon, atleast try to get the point next time before you start quoting me wrong.

    Maybe you think a step from 18-30Mb in 7 years is like mana from heaven, but I personally think it is shit compared to what they could have been offering in the same time period.

    Obviously my post is overstated in some areas, but 99% wouldn't take it as serious as you, but take it for what it is...rant.

    And your test is hardly enough, testing one location of streaming video/audio that uses UDP transfer which always is faster.

    Anyways there is nothing productive in keeping this going.
    I emailed netviator, and i will post their reply regarding bottlenecks and will post whatever they reply.

    Last edited by JohanSWE; 23-03-2010 at 11:02 PM.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE
    Raccon are you incapable to see rant for what it is?
    You were spouting bullshit and continued with the same when called on it. That ain't ranting, my dear.
    At least you should get your facts straight and know what you are "ranting" about ...

    As for price and the internet speed evolution i said "not worth mentioning" and again reflects my personal view.
    Sure, when people can't support their statements everything becomes a view or opinion only.

    Obviously this failed to go through, selective reading is bless something don't you think Raccon, atleast try to get the point next time before you start quoting me wrong.
    Where did I quote you wrong? Straw man argument?

    Obviously my post is overstated in some areas, ..
    'Overstated' is an understatement.

    ... but 99% wouldn't take it as serious as you, but take it for what it is...rant.
    Is that 99% also overstated or have you any facts to back it up?

    And your test is hardly enough, testing one location of streaming video/audio that uses UDP transfer which always is faster.
    Always faster than what? The issue was if high download speeds can be reached when accessing overseas sites, what protocol or which (overseas) site I use is irrelevant.

    Anyways there is nothing productive in keeping this going.
    At least you got that right.

    PS: That's me ranting. Good night.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    I am picking on someone who doesn't know what they are talking about - you clearly have no clue how CDNs work. Obviously a traceroute/ping request is going to be handled completely differently to a content download request.

    Again I don't know what CDN Rapidshare has in place (if any) but it is perfectly plausible that they have a CDN node in Japan and not one in Hong Kong.
    Look idiot, when you are in a great big hole feel free to stop digging. I can see the active TCP connections on my computer, I can see exactly what sockets are open and what content is being downloaded from where.

    I'M DOWNLOADING FROM A EUROPEAN SERVER. AS I WAS IN JAPAN. THE SAME SERVER. STILL LOCATED IN THE SAME PLACE. EUROPE.

    Do us all a favour and shut up. You have no idea what servers I use, you have no idea what servers I used to use and you yet you persist in claiming I am wrong.

    Your arrogance to do this from a position of absolute and utter ignorance is mind blowing. If you knew which servers we were discussing you might have a point but you simply guessing and claiming I am wrong without any facts to back it up is the sign of a desperate man who can't bear to admit he was wrong.

Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast