Like Tree1Likes

Now TV picture quality???

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE
    Well as much as i hate to say this, but i got a reply from Netvigator who claim they do not limit the connection overseas.
    I'm sure that Raccon will find much pleasure in this, and will probably rub my face in it.
    I won't, instead I appreciate that you share the reply even it does not support your own argument. Not everyone would have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball
    Not surprising to any of us who have tried to have a rational and fact-based discussion with Geoff on other matter - like myself in the thread on housing allowances...
    Have you learned to write clearly yet? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball
    Most international banks (and certainly the BBs) do not differentiate between 'locals' and foreigners for the purpose of compensations/perks, i.e., every full-time employee (whether local or not) will almost certainly get the same basic package, typically including a housing allowance.
    I see being called out still rankles and you feel the need to seek safety in numbers by introducing this in a completely unrelated thread where someone else is being a knob too.... well done

All this has nothing to do with NOW TV (non-HD) picture quality.

Clearly the average customer bandwidth is enough for an SD
    compressed signal at full SD resolution.

The fact is that most of NOW's channels are not their own and they
    probably receive it at 3/4 or 1/2 resolution and perhaps after various
    format conversions including NSTC-PAL or what not.
    The result are blurry pictures which NOW can do nothing about because their source is inherently at fault. The ancient computer law holds true - - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Cased closed.

Why do they receive channels at 1/2 or 3/4 resolution? I have never seen this elsewhere in the world, and a lot of the channels offered here are offered in higher quality elsewhere.

National Geographic and Discovery look awful here, yet look fine in other Asian countries on standard definition TVs.

No matter by fiber or satellite, just about all tv channels get compressed and multiplexed to save bandwidth.

The demand for quality overseas overrides any stupid executive who thinks he can save money by squeezing another 4 or 5 channels on a 10 channel list. Australia/Singapore/Malaysia and probably Japan/Korea probably have good quality, again because of customer perception and demand.

The rest of Asia/India though, quality is at best 2nd priority. Some people are quite happy that they can get a picture at all. They are probably more focused on content.
    Knowing this, the TV distribution heads will try to save on costs. They're very clever, and only change the horizontal resolution, thereby keeping the same number of lines, but the whole picure softens and any sharpening (which I doubt they do) will make it blocky.

On top of this, the signal might go through more than one country, and number of companies before reaching NOWtv. I don't why, but countries like to stick to their formats, i.e NTSC or PAL, even
    though any new telly we buy is multi. This means if you get a nice
    picture in NTSC, NOW will probably convert it to PAL and seeing as the signal is probably already degraded, they'll probably use a cheap converter.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9