Like Tree1Likes

Now TV picture quality???

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Now TV picture quality???

I just got now TV and have it connected to my 37 inch LCD TV. The picture quality seems horrible - it's very "grainy" and pixelated. The picture has a very noticeable "digital" appearance. Is this the normal standard for Now TV or is there a problem with my connection? Any input would be appreciated - I'm very unsatisfied.

NowTV picture wasn't that great to begin with, IMHO. Nothing close to DVD for sure. However, two things I'll try.

1. Reduce the sharpness on your TV to zero. Should minimize some pixelation.

2. Ditch the yellow video cable that comes with NowTV cable box and use at least S-video cable that come with the box.

Let me know whether it helps

That's just about as good as it gets. The term "quality" should not ever be used to describe anything to do with Now TV.

The problem is exacerbated by having a good quality TV. The better your TV is, the more you'll see how poor the image really is on DVD, and everything below DVD. Now TV probably fits somewhere between VCD, and a pile of dog turd in terms of visual appeal.

In defence of PCCW (cringe!) the quality of the video is between S-VHS (which is superior to VCD) and DVD. It could be better but not at the price we pay. Saying that Sky in the UK is of DVD quality even when viewed on a medium to large LCD TV but then you pay more in monthly fees. The quality of the feeds is all important and that is where NOW falls down (yes I change sides easily). Just look at the excellent stuff on Nat. Geo. and you'll see that it can be done. PCCW get your finger out.

anyone else have picture quality issues with ATV World? mine just gets worse and worse, to the point its completely distored now. building management claims there is nothing wrong with the signal in the building as no other tenants have complained.

We've always had problems with ATV World reception. I believe that they are the poor cousin of terrestrial broadcasting here. Either they have low power low quality transmitters (like RTHK3) or their band is up against something more powerful like your microwave. Everywhere that I have lived in this WC ATV World has always managed to produce a ghost image.
    I've often wondered if it would be useful to add one of those in-line signal amplifiers?

If Now TV is pixelated then it is broken and needs fixing -call their customer support and get people to come out and sort it out. It doesn't have to be that way - mine certainly isn't.

One thing .. if your TV has a line doubler of sorts .. make sure its enabled.

Most digital LCD / Plasmas have some decent technology to smooth things out by doubling the information.

Philips calls this Perfect Pixel HD for example ..

I am using Now TV with Sharp 32" LCD TV and the picture quality is near DVD. I am using an old type set top box from NOW which has RGB (?) output and a large cable bought from fortress.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    One thing .. if your TV has a line doubler of sorts .. make sure its enabled.

Most digital LCD / Plasmas have some decent technology to smooth things out by doubling the information.

Philips calls this Perfect Pixel HD for example ..
    Line doubler will depend a lot on signal quality, ie garbage in, garbage out. Lower quality signal like NowTV, icable has lot of noises which will be "doubled" by line doubler, making picture look even worse, not smoother.

Turn down the sharpness helps reduce the amplification of signal noise though it's not totally solved the problem.

I'm curious about the RGB input. Theoretically, it should be good but I think it has more to do with the signal quality which I think NowTV has some problem with.

Just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast