Like Tree19Likes

The end of focus?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

There's a sneak preview of what the Lytro can do on Lytro | by Coco Rocha.

There's also a behind-the-scenes-video. The camera has been blurred, but from what I can make out it's around the size of a compact (or not much larger).

shri and Skyhook like this.

Still bollox IMHO!

So they've finally revealed the camera:
    Lytro Camera | Uncrate
    Lytro

There's also a demo of the UI & zoom:
    Lytro light field camera zoom and UI walkthrough - YouTube

The thing looks TINY compared to even a P&S, and they seem to have got the pricing right.

Thanx VJ. I couldnt see the specs i.e. What the photo quality will be. Has that been announced?

The design looks nice. So far they havent done such a bad job. A nuch better job of bringing to market than i expected!

What is a "light ray"?

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat
    Thanx VJ. I couldnt see the specs i.e. What the photo quality will be. Has that been announced?

The design looks nice. So far they havent done such a bad job. A nuch better job of bringing to market than i expected!
    The only specs I could find were:
    Light Field Sensor; 11 Megarays
    Light Field Engine 1.0 processor
    I have no idea what that means! They might announce more detailed specs later in the year. I also read that the lens has a constant f2.0 aperture (i.e, you'll be shooting wide open all the time). That shouldn't really matter anyway, since you'll adjust the focus & depth of field after the shot.
    luckycat likes this.

My concern had always been an acceptable output resolution. This review is quite interesting. Perhaps less than 1mp output - that is geared towards a gimmick market and not professional market.

vinyljunky likes this.

Considering this is the first camera of such kind I would expect it to be limited. However the technology is quite interesting, perhaps they will improve resolution and other limitations over time and as technology advances, and I am sure some people find good use for it.

(From the other thread)

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker
    the article linked and the photo attached are 2 completely different things.
    the photo in this thread is a cheap 3D gimmick achieved by taking 2 or more photos at slightly different angles and combined into a gif that blinks like your left/right eyes. there was an interesting artist who did a bunch of these...ill try to find it later.

as for the article.....i care not to debate down that road again.
    BBB - it is the same technology. Multiple lenses (as is the Lytro technology) of course allows for different angles on the same image - a cheap 3d gimmick. This was done many years ago. Nikisha is one example from the eighties.

That same technology allows for the production of one image with an enormous amount of data. One aspect is to be able to refocus - something that Lytro are pushing to the consumer market.

If you remember our debates, the other very interesting part of this tech was sharpening. I still think Lytro should have gone after this market with the pros. An aperture of f.4 on the Lytro is the equivalent of an aperture of f.22 in a standard camera. Unbelieveable.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon
    Considering this is the first camera of such kind I would expect it to be limited. However the technology is quite interesting, perhaps they will improve resolution and other limitations over time and as technology advances, and I am sure some people find good use for it.
    I don't know if this can be achieved. The only way to achieve this is to find a more efficient way to compress the image from the industry standard of JPEG.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast