Port forwarding for uTorrent

Closed Thread

Port forwarding for uTorrent

My desktop is running uTorrent fine. I have port forwarding to port 44077 in the uTorrent client and my linksys wireless router has an entry for this port too specifying the desktop's ip address of 192.168.1.101
    I now have a notebook to join the happy family. It connects wirelessly to the router. I have set up uTorrent on the notebook in the same way with port forwarding to port 44077 and I have added an entry to the router configuration to cater for the notebook at address 192.168.1.103 but it tells me that there is a problem with the network. Going into speed guide I click "test if port is forwarded properly" and get an error that it is not.
    Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

i am not very very sure, but as far as i know, port forward can assign only one IP

juz like...FTP Server, you can juz forward port 21/23 to one IP.

clarify me if i am wrong

Quote Originally Posted by clarence_kwan_h:
    i am not very very sure, but as far as i know, port forward can assign only one IP

juz like...FTP Server, you can juz forward port 21/23 to one IP.

clarify me if i am wrong
    This is correct. You will have to set your uTorrent client to use another port and then configure your router to foward that port to your notebook's IP address.

Or ... setup UPNP forwarding and use uTorrent's random port feature. Everytime you restart uTorrent, it uses a random port and tells your linksys to forward to that port.

Thanks all. I had mistakenly left the option "Enable UPnP port mapping" ticked. Unticking it and assigning a port number different to the desktop's cleared the error. It was KIA's post that alerted me to that option which has only recently been added to the client. The version on my desktop is older and does not have it.
    By the way I tried UPnP port mapping with port randomisation and that didn't work.

Discobay : UPNP works really well but needs some fiddling around with XP. Some services need to be turned on or off (Cant figure which) from your control panel.

azureus is far faster and more featured...just my 2 cents

I used Azureus and I can't say that I found the features that more useful than those offered by utorrent. Azureus has a much larger footprint than utorrent which to me is important (thought I would say that just to look clever).

I don't really agree with Azureus is faster, Utorrent is clearly faster on all 3 of my comps, actually Utorrent is the fastest of all clients i have tried. I like it a lot, but thats just my opinion.