My internet message Board hell.Please help...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My internet message Board hell.Please help...

Hi there.

In a nutshell I want a message board for around 30-50 people to use each week but it must have its own dedicated domain name (not a www.borads2go/my domain) I need some loacl experts I think so anyone have any suggestions?

I have registered a domain with 1&1 and have the family package (about 300 meg of web space). The idea is that my siite will host a vbulletin board and thats about it. I thought I could buy a domain and upload a vbulletin board onto it but alas it's not that simple. I need SQL etc etc and now I may need a) more webspace and b) a dedicated piece of hardware.

Thank you so much in advance

Get a web hosting plan with Cpanel and installing a standard message board should just be a matter of pushing a button..

Head over to dreamhost.com

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html

Their cheapest plan includes phpBB and other software.

Thnaks guys

I take it I can use my newly registered domain name for these two companies?

Technically you should be able to.

In real life .. a little bit depends on who you've registered your domain with and how you configure it to work with Dreamhost's service.

Don't worry

just seen I can. Out of interest do you know the quality of their in house php board? Can it be customised etc? Pushing my luck here I know but thanks for the heads up guys..

Sorry KIA, posts must have just crossed....

domain registered with 1&1 so it should be OK. Incidentally, the dreamhost is an all in package but are there benefits to doing the whole thing more hands-on? For example, using the SQL, getting the VBulletin package etc? Doe sit give you more control and/or independence?

Sure it does give you a lot more flexibility... but if your concern is "I need SQL etc etc and now I may need a) more webspace and b) a dedicated piece of hardware. "

Then perhaps you should look at the one button install software.

Installing vbulletin for a small community is fairly simple ... does not require new hardware etc.

and I guess I can always upgrade and migrate once I have the time and energy to go the more independent route. Thanks for the help. Mucho Appreciated

Last edited by adahc; 29-05-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Vbulletin has a phpBB import facility.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast