Fujitsu Scansnap S1500M - Got one? Where can I buy in HK?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by albahk
    The price does seem a bit steep for the S1500, I spoke to a local retailer and they are looking for $5,900 and a 2-3 week wait. That's a substantial markup over Amazon and a lot of $ for a scanner.

The S1300 model is smaller but appears to share many of the same features. Might look for that one.
    I did not pay anything like 5900 for the scanner. Much, much closer to the US price of 4K. Check at the printer place on the second floor of WCC- they quoted a reasonable price. Wait at Foresoon and the WCC place were less than 5 days.
    Last edited by jgl; 04-07-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    For my scanned documents I keep them on my computer hard disk, on a separate networked storage device and backed up to a cloud. I plan to migrate them between my home computers as I go - hopefully JPGs and PDFs won't be obsolete in 20 years time.
    My 20 year old archives are on 3.5" disc... I think it's the copying it across to new media that's the tricky bit. I didn't realise that the last machine I had with a disk drive was going to be the last one until it failed. Then there's the question of "do I really need this old stuff enough to go and try to find a 3.5" disk drive that would work with my current PC and get those files off". Repeat with a 5.25" drive for the 30 year old stuff...

On Saturday I saw USB connected 3.5" FDDs sitting in Foresoon and was wondering why they were still carrying what is effectively technology that belongs in museums I rather suspect you'd be out of luck for 5.25" drives though.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    My 20 year old archives are on 3.5" disc... I think it's the copying it across to new media that's the tricky bit. I didn't realise that the last machine I had with a disk drive was going to be the last one until it failed. Then there's the question of "do I really need this old stuff enough to go and try to find a 3.5" disk drive that would work with my current PC and get those files off". Repeat with a 5.25" drive for the 30 year old stuff...
    Are floppies even reliable over that timescale? I agree that this is an important consideration and one I have thought about.

However, with a small amount of effort I am quite confident that I'll be able to preserve my files & family photos by copying them across "as I go" and ensuring they are appropriately backed up at all times. I still have my university research projects from the 90's in electronic copy, and email archives from the early 90's (although I doubt I will ever look at them!)

I think file type obsolescence could be more of a problem, but standardizing on text, PDF and JPG will hopefully mean any conversions to newer formats should be reasonably painless.

No they're not, but then again they were seen as more reliable than hard disks, which were the only other option 20 years ago (and not an option at all 30 years back). I also find I have some Iomega zip disks - remember them? I'm still using the same email program as I was in 1995, so I have immediate access to all my (home) emails since then (apart from a few months where I had a disk crash and hadn't backed up the mail file recently).

Last edited by PDLM; 04-07-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by albahk
    The price does seem a bit steep for the S1500, I spoke to a local retailer and they are looking for $5,900 and a 2-3 week wait. That's a substantial markup over Amazon and a lot of $ for a scanner.

The S1300 model is smaller but appears to share many of the same features. Might look for that one.
    You might want to look at this for a speed comparison.

YouTube - ‪ScanSnap S1300 & S1500 ??????????‬‏

Another option if you really have thousands of pages is to use a fast scanner at work, generate a huge number of PDFs, and then purchase a separate OCR app to do a bulk conversion.

Sony ceased production of 3.5" floppies just this year, apparently they sold 12 Million of them in 2010.

I remember buying Windows 95 which consisted of ~20 floppy disks

I also have a 2.88MB (Wow!!) floppy drive back in Blighty, quite a rare beast.

Update

On jgl's suggestion I found a place in Wanchai CC that has the S1500M. Asking $4,120 but got it for $4k cash. They also had the S1100 in stock but not the S1300. Foresoon have not responded to my email enquiry yet.

Tommy Wong @ R&R Enterprises - shop 240-241 Wanchai Computer Centre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2