Firewall Options and Suppliers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

good luck with Watchguard, they are at the same level as linux based firewalls.

They are a company that :
    will decide that your FW is no longer a supported product will make so you are forced buy the upgrade hardware.
    will not allow the trade of their products second hand and if you get one you must immediately upgrade it to their latest product.
    A company that makes the resale and re-installation of the system difficult by using license keys to activate hardware.
    From first hand experience and other telcos, it should not be used in critical/telco environment, as they crash, and often wipe the flash card
    They are not fun to reinstall and rebuild after they crash.

Having said all that, for years they have had the best management interface which will get you and most managers to sign on the dotted line.

Well that's why I am trying to look at other options, just seems the HK suppliers want to sell Watchguard! So looking for other distributors who can give me the lowdown on other manufacturers.

Mixing your server traffic with user browsing/access is not a good idea so consider splitting your servers off to its own circuit (if you can). Then get a decent high grade firewall. I have some Netscreen 204 coming in at price that will blow the Netscreen 50 out of the water. You can set them up in pairs for fail over.

For your users browsing put them on those aggregration boxes, if it crashes you will know fast enough and just reboot the box. Get one extra as a spare you can plug in if the first one dies.

i second hk's recommendation... go for the netscreens instead of those watchguard one's.

hk.com, who's the supplier or distributor here in HK? I'll check out the specs online, but would like to know where I can source them. Thanks!

not the mention company names. I've been helping a advising some customer about trouble shooting their network and as a last resort they were going to get me in to clean up and sort it. Anyway it turns out that their watchguard is doing funny things which is causing the performance problems.

jaykay, we are not the official distributor, but we sell resell them. We parallel import and get Juniper HK to give us the import license or sometimes source in HK and resell used ones. I need to check if they are still available but the 204's were at a silly low price, pm me if you want me to help you sourcing them.

PM sent, looking at the specs for both 204's and 208's. Couple of issues I do need to have clarified......thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    not the mention company names. I've been helping a advising some customer about trouble shooting their network and as a last resort they were going to get me in to clean up and sort it. Anyway it turns out that their watchguard is doing funny things which is causing the performance problems.

jaykay, we are not the official distributor, but we sell resell them. We parallel import and get Juniper HK to give us the import license or sometimes source in HK and resell used ones. I need to check if they are still available but the 204's were at a silly low price, pm me if you want me to help you sourcing them.
    @hk.com

could you furnish me a copy of your price list too? I'm thinking about getting one for the house to play around with. we usually get the company one's from abroad and I want to see the price difference.

Talldude> as in invidual it is going to be impossible for you to bring in a Juniper from overseas. Even as an end user you can't. For us resellers it is a long tedious process, where we have to apply for import licences etc.

The netscreen 204 is a 200Mbit version. If I confirm stock price is going to below HK$20K (maybe way below). Not sure if that is feasable for home use. But just cos you are at home it does not mean you must have poor hardware.

If you want one PM me.

thanks for the info hk.com

that's pretty interesting. i'll pm you in a bit...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2