Disk mirroring using Windox XP Professional

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

HKNewBi : what card did you get?

To test the raid, turn of the computer and disconnect one of the drives. You should still be able to access the data.

It isn't too big on brand names! They box says 'Syba', the (badly written) manual says silicon image, some outfit in California.

I am a bit nervous about it. The disk mirroring utility won't run now, so I am busy backing my data up to DVD, then I will give your suggestion a go.

Might have to get a different card. Not sure I trust this one.

Last edited by HKNewBi; 26-06-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Mirroring does not come with Windows XP, but it can be achieved by a hack. (not legal though). It needs respources(speed) though. A way better way is to buy an external Hardware Raid. Stardom has one available for around 1700 HKD. It can connect via external SATA or USB and is seen by windows as a single disk. Mirroring is done inside the external unit. You can, in order to make a backup, just pull out one of the disks and replace it with an empty one. You can continue to use the other disk (A bit slower until the mirror is rebuilt - about 1 hour per GB) and the mirror will rebuild.

For backup,I have a similar Buffalo setup - external twin disc box that's set up as RAID 1. Took less than 5 minutes to setup.

Internally I have an Adaptec IDE card which is setup as RAID 0. The card is pretty old now but does well, I bought it over 5 years ago and never had any issues with it.

What is the speed like?

Mine is very much slower than a regular SATA drive.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    What is the speed like?

Mine is very much slower than a regular SATA drive.
    I have no speed issues when using eSATA. Just while the mirror rebuilds After pulling out the backup disk it is slower for about 3 hours (320GB size).
    Of course if you run it as a USB it is much slower.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2